Clikstar Pens

3 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

NiVZ DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
82 posts

Hello,

OK after many a telling off for using Lantus cartridges in a Humapen I've decided to do something about it. I previously used the Autopen but hate these as they are so plasticy, and two of them broke during injections!

So I've been trying to get hold of a Clikstar pen. My chemist has them on their system but they didn't have a PIP code. Called the doctors surgery and they couldn't find them on their system, even with the manufacturers PIP code. They have submitted a handwritten prescription so fingers crossed I'll get one.

If anyone else is interested in these here are the PIP codes I was given - hopefully your doctors surgery can find them using these:

Silver - 354 8559
Blue - 354 8542

NiVZ

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

that doesn't make sense, from a chemist point of view. If they had them on their system then they should have a PIP code. All medicines have a PIP code, either by the manufacturer or 'internal' if its a 'repackaged'.
If the chemist orders it from a supplier they might not have the correct PIP code but the supplier should be able to look up the correct one...
( I work in the IT dept of a pharmaceutical company, so deal with this kind of thing). The PIP codes you give should be enough for any chemist to obtain them, presuming they are correct.

NiVZ DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
82 posts

Hello,

Forgot to reply to this topic.

Finally got hold of a blue Clikstar pen and I like it a lot - it's so much better than the Autopen, although still not quite as good as my Humapen Luxura.

The pen is a good size (only marginally bigger than a Humapen) and goes up in 1 click intervals up to 80 units. One very clever feature is when you get near to the end of the cartridge it will only allow you to dial up how much is actually in there - ie no more plunger stopping half way through a dose because you know before hand there isn't enough in there. I think more manufacturers need to implement this.

My only gripe is it is a bit plasticy, but thats only me being very picky. Overall it feels very robust and easy to use, and I'm now safe in the knowledge I'm using an approved pen for my Lantus injections Smile

NiVZ