Leaking Novopen ?!?!

6 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Gaz DAFNE Graduate
Royal Glamorgan Hospital Diabetes Centre
2 posts

Hi, i've been type 1 for 9 years now, finished DAFNE 5 years ago (I think, 3rd group in Wales (Royal Glam)). Now one thing i can't seem to remedy, or find the cause of, is my novopen...leaking insulin.

I've switched pens, changed insulin cartridges; yet nothing seems be to solving the problem. I never had this issue when i was on Humolog 25, using their Humapens(think that's what they were called).

If I'm being honest; i've probably lost a few boxes worth of insulin since being diagnosed because of these mystery leaks. I remember once, literally pouring insulin out of my pens top due to one incident.

has anyone experienced the same problem, or better yet, found out what's causing it and solved the leaky pen?

thanks for any insight!

Stew B DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
125 posts

Hi Gaz

Are you leaving a needle attached when the pen leaks? Before DAFNE I used the same needle for more than one injection, and so often had a needle attached on my novopen all day. I would sometimes get the pen out and discover it soaked with leaked insulin and would also have to wind it up quite a lot to get more insulin to flow. I persuaded my GP to prescribe a new pen on the basis of that problem, and then found the new one did the same thing. Anyway, it turns out that changes of temperature / pressure were causing the insulin to expand and leak out. The answer was to only use a needle for one injection, and never to leave a needle on the pen. This solved the problem for me.

Stew

meltow DAFNE Graduate
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
78 posts

I have been on the same Novorapid pen for at least 10 years, and have the same problem, but only intermittently. A bloomin' nuisance! Well done Stew; having now checked the instructions for use of the pen [see below], it does advise to remove needle after use to minimise leakage. Something I have never done - as I don't always use a new needle every time I inject.

After you use it
When you are using NovoRapid Penfill you should remove and dispose of the needle after each injection. If you do not remove it, temperature changes may cause liquid to leak out of the needle.

Kentbabe DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
10 posts

ive had the same problem with my humalog pen and my leviemer one too. I found that if i left the needle on for a few days it would start to leak a small amount of insulin. I now dont leave a needle on and this has stoped the leakiing. Hope u solve ur problem

Gaz DAFNE Graduate
Royal Glamorgan Hospital Diabetes Centre
2 posts

yeah, that's done it.

cheers.

Mark2 DAFNE Graduate
Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital
23 posts

I have had a problem with Novopens which seem to leak as well. I've thrown pens away in the past that seemed to have this problem. It never occurred to me that it was just the needle and the rubber on the insulin vial that caused this.