NHS Lanarkshire
1 post
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

bg diary

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Hey fiona........

My first thoughts are jesus, you are on hardly any insulin, are you just recently diagnosed.

Secondly, It seems that your ratios are fine, assuming 1+1 actually means 1:1.

In the morning however you dont seem to be correcting enough.

On the sunday you were 18.9, so to get down to the magic 5.5, you need to come down 13.4 mmol/l, so if 1 unit brings you down between 2-3 mmol/l then you will need 5 units correction, instead of 3.

Likely more as your BG was quite high and the 2-3 rule usually doesnt apply.

You seem to be doing this every morning, I think if you get that correction right you will be on target the rest of the day.

On the drink side, I myself drink buckfast, by the bottle (75cl). I contacted Buckfast to find out how much sugar was in it, they got back and said 90g of grape sugar per 75cl bottle.

So when I have buckfast, usually after my dinner insulin has peaked, I inject for the wine (12 with my ratio of 1.5:1 at that time).

So I would reccomend injecting 4 units if your having a half flask, if drinking before the peak of dinner insulin, add it on to your dinner dose, if after, just inject before you start.

As I am no HCP and have a different physiology from you, make sure you have some hypo relief at hand later on, incase the alcohol and insulin bring your sugars down fast.

I look forward to hearing your results.

Mark2 DAFNE Graduate
Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital
23 posts

Fiona - to me you don't seem to be taking enough Background insulin. You seem to be on very small doses at unequal times of the day.

Many people with type 1 seem to be on about 20 to 28 units of Background insulin a day (1 or two injections). Of course you may be different, but this certainly looks like the problem. Remember to adjust your doses gradually 2 units at a time.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

I'm with Mark2 it looks like your BI in the evening is not enough. Given your sensitivity to insulin I would only change it by 1 max (you probably don't have a pen that can do 0.5, but it might be worth looking for one if you are that sensitve). After the change give it a few days to fully see if it has had the desired effect. You may also need to do a 3am test ( sorry) to see how your BG changes over night, sometimes higher BG's in the morning is dawn phenomenom but not always. Probably the BI at night change will do the job, if you start lower you will probably tend to stay lower during the day and if you don't need to constantly correct it will be easier to see if your CP estimates are good or not so good. ( indian food is full of CP's, well it always seems that way to my body anyway ;-) )