Corrections

4 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

EmmaAngelone DAFNE Graduate
Croydon NHS
1 post

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if we should be correcting at bed time if out of target with insulin or food? or have i got this wrong
I find that if i am 5 at bed time and have one CP my BG will elevate beyond target. Also if i correct for high BG with insulin pre bed i often hypo during the night.

any suggestions would be great

thanks

meltow DAFNE Graduate
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
78 posts

Before bed, if my BG is 8 or above I will use a correction dose. I reckon on 1 unit bringing me down about 3.
Similarly, if my BG is 5 or below I will have 1 CP before bed - usually a hand full or two of sultanas.
I very rarely suffer from hypos, and if I do they tend to happen in the night, and this is likely due to agressive exercising during the day, rather than over or under compensating before bed.

HTH!

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

My question is, when you have 1 CP at bed, what is your reading in the morning, it cant be that high unless you suffer from the dawn phenomonon, as I do. If you are in double figures in the morning it wont be the 10 gram of carbohydrate for sure. And if it is dawn phenomonon, you cant really do anything.

And if following the DAFNE principles you dont take for 10 grams.....................

If you are hypoing during the night, you must be correcting to much, unless its a background dose issue, but you would be experiencing lows all the time if that was the case.

If it was me before bed, I wouldnt take cp for a blood reading of 5 as my background is correct. Even though the target is around the 7 mark.

I recommend publishing you results for one of the nights in question, could get a better idea and maybe get some feedback from a HCP....

cupcake DAFNE Graduate
Croydon NHS
3 posts

If you are unsure you could do a 3am BG test for a couple of nights then you will know if it is the CP or correction or not if it rises after about 4.30am
It might help you to identify cause