Dawn Phenomonon

3 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Hey guys,

I suffer from the afformentioned plight of dawn phenomonon.

Double figured blood sugars for this short amount of time has proven not to affect my Haemoglobin results anyway, however I would like to hear if anyone experiences this and what they do, if anything to combat it.

Hope to hear from you soon,

NoVoRaPiDbOi26

laur2702 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
1 post

Hi,

I am the same, can have normal blood sugar eg 5 at 7am and 10 or more by 8am. I test as soon as I get up and if blood sugar within normal range I take 2 units (I am on humalog), if slightly high do the required correction. Then do normal ratio come breakfast time and this seems to have been working for the last while. For me the key seems to be getting some insulin into my system early.

I have only suffered the effects of dawn phenomenon since DAFNE as previously I had a lantus dose that was too big and always had a bedtime snack with no insulin.

Have been told a pump would help but I'm not keen!

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I agree totallym the earlier the better..........

I am alaways between 10 - 15 at 6.30 am, I correct and then take my breakfast insulin (3:1).

Before dafne I never had anything to eat that early but I have now got myself into the routine as the large amounts of insulin bring me down to 4.9 - 5.7 by 12.00 for lunch..