Black Coffee

7 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Caroline Litch DAFNE Graduate
West Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust
4 posts

Hi

When drinking black coffee my BG raises by at least 1.5 mmol, does this happen to anyone else Question

sjohno DAFNE Graduate
University Hospital of Derby & Burton NHS FT
37 posts

Hi Caroline

Are you drinking the black coffee on an empty stomach?

regards

Sarah

4 posts

Hi Sarah

Yes, a lot of the time. Does that make a difference?

sjohno DAFNE Graduate
University Hospital of Derby & Burton NHS FT
37 posts

Caroline Litch said:
Hi Sarah

Yes, a lot of the time. Does that make a difference?

Hi Caroline

No not really as coffee has no carbs in it at all, I just wondered if your body/insulin was still in the middle of processing other things Very Happy

Different things affect all of us perhaps coffee is yours Smile

4 posts

Hi Sarah

I think your right, it's just one of those things. Thank you anyway Smile

Regards
Caroline

NottsKnots DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
10 posts

I drink 20-30 mugs of black coffee a day, and has no effect on my BG. I did notice that waking and having a couple of mugs before checking my BG and having breakfast, my BG was elevated; I put that down to waking hormones working before I’d taken on the insulin as there was no other event in the preceding day or overnight. If I have the coffee with breakfast (or any time during the day), its just the other carbs and insulin doing their thing.

It might be worth trying coffee after a fasting lunch, and see what happens during the course of the afternoon. I’m no medical practitioner, but maybe its stimulating some hormone release that raises BG (like a stress response), but that should resolve itself when your liver takes back any glucose it released. Just a possible theory, with no clinical basis!

4 posts

Thank you NottsKnots for your reply, I might just try the fasting lunch just for interest. There is no reason why black coffee should raise my BG and it doesn't always happen