Sugars all over the place !

6 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

AlThompa DAFNE Graduate
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
3 posts

Hi,

18 units of BI (Levemir) twice a day (6:30am and 6:30pm)

I recently completed DAFNE last week and was wondering how long it took for other diabetic's BG to level out after the course ? I first started on a 1:1 ratio but found my BG were high after breakfast/lunch but I've slowly increased to a 2:1 Ratio, however I'm still finding that my BG's is high 2-3 hours after lunch even though I've took the correct QA (2:1 Ratio) to carbs plus a correction of between 1-3 depending on my level ?

For example before my lunch today I was 9.7 I had 5 CPS, therefore I took 10 + 1 of QA but found my BG at 4:00pm was 15 ?

Is anyone on a greater ratio than 2:1 of QA to CPS ? Or Do you think I need to increase my BI to give me better control throughout the day ?

Any help or guidance would be appreciate.

Thanks Alex

boost 3 posts

One thing to note is that you should not be concerned about your BG 2-3 hours after a meal because your QA continues to work for up to 5 hours. You need to look at your BG 5 hours after your last meal when trying to work out your QA ratios.

To check if you are on the correct BI in the morning, you need to check BG 5 hours after your breakfast, skip lunch for that day, then see if your BG holds steady throughout the afternoon. If it is going up you need more morning BI. If it is steady, then you can look at your breakfast/lunch QA ratios.

AlThompa DAFNE Graduate
3 posts

Many thanks for that I will give it a go, although I'm also experiencing high levels on a morning but my BG at bedtime is generally between 9-10.

I've read up on the 'Dawn phenomenon' and know I need to check my BG at 3:00am but any thoughts how to combat this effect ?

Cheers,

Alex

alturn DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
78 posts

When you get your BI stable, then you can tune your ratios. You might then find BI can be decreased. You may need to alter your BI over time.
Are your injection sites Ok, and rotating where you inject?
It may take some time to get things stable, as its a gradual process - try to change one thing at a time, monitor for 2-3 days to check effect.

I believe DAFNE suggests Units:CP of bewteen 1:1 and 3:1, though some users may differ depending on sensitivity. I am currently trying 4:1 for one meal. You can have different ratios for each meal. And you're correction ratios can also vary for each meal, and may not be the same as the meal ratio.

Hope this helps,
J

AlThompa DAFNE Graduate
3 posts

alturn said:
When you get your BI stable, then you can tune your ratios. You might then find BI can be decreased. You may need to alter your BI over time.
Are your injection sites Ok, and rotating where you inject?
It may take some time to get things stable, as its a gradual process - try to change one thing at a time, monitor for 2-3 days to check effect.

I believe DAFNE suggests Units:CP of bewteen 1:1 and 3:1, though some users may differ depending on sensitivity. I am currently trying 4:1 for one meal. You can have different ratios for each meal. And you're correction ratios can also vary for each meal, and may not be the same as the meal ratio.

Hope this helps,
J

Hi,

Thanks for the information Yes I've had to switch to another injection site, as the DAFNE educator noticed my stomach was quite bad and that the insulin may not be working as effective, also I've noticed that too but didn't know you can have different ratios depending on meal times.

The problem I have at the minute is my BG's are like a Yo-Yo I.e no day is the same in terms of BG levels, therefore it's hard to find a pattern to see what I need adjusting for example my last two days of BG's are as follows but my meals are generally the same throughout the day especially breakfast and lunch which I have the same every day.

22/01/19

Morning - 4.7
Mid-morning - 9.7
Before lunch - 10
3 Hours after lunch - 15.3 ?
Before teatime - 5.9
Before bed - 13.1

23/01/19

Morning - 14.9
Mid-morning - 9.9
Before lunch - 7
3 Hours after lunch - 5.9
Before teatime - 6.9
Before bed - 10.7

Cheers,

Alex

alturn DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
78 posts

They do seem a bit erratic, but also its a very small sample. It might help if you attach some diary readings to your post. Hopefully you fill in ratios, Cps etc.

Your single overnight seems about right (change < 2) though high. Your lunch to tea seems not too bad. It could be your correction for being high or low needs tuning.

As as been suggested, probably best to stop mid-am and mid-pm tests unless you are eg driving, feeling low, work safety, exercise, illness. I think they are misleading. When your pre-meal levels are more stable, you could then check, but don't think DAFNE advises this.

Eating meals of approx same Cps at the same time also helps to spot patterns. It's not always easy or possible.

I rotate my injection sites as : breakfast QA in right stomach, BI in right thigh or buttock. Lunch QA in middle stomach. Dinner as breakfast but on left side. And also rotate within each area. I use a similar method to rotate finger tests (which are getting increasingly more difficult).

J