reflexology helping control...

2 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Mossitizer DAFNE Graduate
Regional Hospital Mullingar
3 posts

Hi, new to the site. just completed the Dafne course on Friday and in the middle of getting to grips with my new regime. A friend of mine has finished a diploma in reflexology and asked me to be a case study for her course. Seemingly it can help control, circulation etc. Just wondering has anyone else heard/ tried this???

Anil DAFNE Graduate
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust
39 posts

Hello! and welcome!

Reflexology could help with diabetic Neuropathy (A complication of poor long term diabetes control), Improved blood circulation around the body would help prevent complications like Diabetes neuropathy in your feet especially. Improved circulation will help keep your nerve endings healthy, especially in your feet, where blood circulation isn't as much as the rest of the body.

I found that I used to have Cold Feet in the past (Especially in the mornings), after researching on the internet, I found this was because of poor circulation around my body, the remedy was exercise, to allow the heart to beat more blood more powerfully to your feet.

After a few weeks of rigorous exercise, My feet are always nice and warm (Even when I wake up in the morning, when they used to be really cold), Improved blood circulation is very important and can help in the long run preventing long term diabetes complications.

As for reflexology, unless its done fairly regularly I wouldnt think it has that much of a affect over the long term, better yet, just exercise 2-3 times a week for short amounts. (Particularly Cardio-Vascular Workouts) to strengthen your heart and increase blood circulation around your body. This can have a big affect over the long term of your life, and its keeps you and your heart healthy!

I would help your friend out any way, I'd love to educate more people on diabetes as most people are mis-informed about it, This gives you the opportunity to teach them and who knows, maybe you'll learn a helpful thing or too as well!.

Exercise is very important, especially for us Type 1's, to help prevent future complications especially nerve damage which is very common.

As for the DAFNE, I hope you learned alot, I found it VERY useful and completely changed my Blood glucose for the better, Just Remember to PRACTICE it daily until it becomes a habit. It might seem daunting, but once you learn the CP's of the foods your eat regularly it becomes second nature, and you'll feel much better with the tighter glucose control as well.

Hope this helps!