Managing diabetes on a holiday to Nepal

2 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

DGK DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
1 post

Not posted before - but looking for any help, advice or comments on the following:

I am visiting Nepal for a holiday in 10 days time. Has anyone any experience of this country in respect of managing their diabetes. I am visiting Kathmandu, Chitwan National Park, Pokahra areas so altitude less than 2000 metres. Any advice on type of food in respect of carb counting, anticiapted problems with meter would be helpful. I appreciate it is a late request but any feedback would be welcomed. I am 65 and relatively fit for my age I am not going treking to base camp or climbing Everest!

I was going to use the http://diabetestravel.org site for calculating my basal insulin for the flights but have not found it so useful this time (unlike in the past for trips to USA & Canada) so if anyone knows of any other such calculators for managing basal insulin (twice daily for me) on flights / time zones I would be please to know of them.

Thanks in anticipation.

torana DAFNE Graduate
Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW
53 posts

Hi Ruperto, I was a bit stunned being redirected to a commercial site on hemp oil. I’m a “real person” and although not a contributor to this CBD site I’ll put forward a few comments here so we are all safe over Christmas and the festive season or on a trip overseas. Firstly, Ruperto write down in this forum the comments derived from the web site pertaining to how CBD oil “can significantly alleviate the suffering” of diabetics and “control the disease.” Secondly, diabetics have to be extremely circumspect on any alternative therapies due to past deaths of diabetics changing their regimes or even stopping insulin dosages from the false claims of some therapists, spiritualists, religious ministers, dieticians and the list goes on and on and not following conventional medical conventions and their endocrinologists.
Ruperto, personally I would weigh up the expense of buying “Natural wellness CBD oil” against purchasing the latest in technological advances for diabetics, such as the Medtronic CGM. I’m sure this may be also extremely beneficial for many diabetics and DGK on an overseas trip. Be safe, have a merry Christmas and a healthy new year