Conversion from Humalog insulin to Novorapid insulin

6 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

I will soon be converting to Actrapid. My DSN has told me that their characteristics are very similar and that I should have no problems. I would welcome any input from people who have done this, or who know haw similar they are.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I assume there has been no specific characteristic that has prompted the change over then?

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
284 posts

The reason for the change was that when I was on Humalolog, I used a Lilly Memoir pen, which had a display and a memory which allowed me to see details of previous injections. This was great, but the battery ran out and Lilly no longer manufacture Memoir pens. The only other pen with displays is the Novo Nordisk Echo pen, which my DSN got for me. This uses Actrapid insulin - hence the change.

sjohno DAFNE Graduate
University Hospital of Derby & Burton NHS FT
37 posts

Hi Alan

I was diagnosed T1 in 1979 and was put on Actrapid & Monotard together.

In 2006 whilst waiting for a prescription renewal I was informed by my local GP Practice that Actrapid was no longer being made and I was prescribed Humulin M3 - ( 3 year nightmare followed using this)
BUT I am intrigued how you are being converted to Actrapid when I was led to believe that Actrapid was no longer available Shocked

thanks

Sarah

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
284 posts

Hello Sarah

You're right, it's not Actrapid - it's NovoRapid I've got in the fridge. What an idiot! When I was discussing this with my DSN, she talked about changing to Actrapid, and when I picked up the prescrption, I put it straight into the fridge. Apologies all round Embarassed

sjohno DAFNE Graduate
University Hospital of Derby & Burton NHS FT
37 posts

Alan Constable said:
Hello Sarah

You're right, it's not Actrapid - it's NovoRapid I've got in the fridge. What an idiot! When I was discussing this with my DSN, she talked about changing to Actrapid, and when I picked up the prescrption, I put it straight into the fridge. Apologies all round Embarassed

Hi Alan

It's ok lol it's just that I read somewhere that hospitals still use Actrapid on diabetic patients when they're admitted, having the glucose bag fitted and Actrapid to counteract it. So I was intrigued as to what was going on Wink

Hope the Novorapid is ok with you, I too am on that as well as Levemir.

Very Happy