Anyone on more than 3:1 ratio?

3 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

printbod DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
1 post
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

I was taking a ratio of 3:1 before DAFNE and have lowered it to 2:1 currently, but my readings are dire.
I was also on 36 units of Lantus, which, during DAFNE I reduced and split to 12 units 8am and 20 units 8pm.
On 2nd June i swapped the doses around to 20 units 8am and 12 units 8pm

I know it was a mistake having those Fish & Chips on 1st June after such a high reading but I was shocked that the 16.38 10 units did precisely nothing.

That sort of thing has happened quite often i.e a large correction dose has done nothing.

Hardest thing is that I work nights and am frequently going to work with ketones and having no opportunity to rest.

As you can see, I'm correcting at virtually every meal.
Do you think I need to go back to 3:1 ratio? I'm 5'8 and 15 stone so very overweight.

Anil DAFNE Graduate
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust
39 posts

Hi,

Weight has a big issue with insulin in the body. I would personally up the insulin dose to 3:1, and see how that goes, maybe even 4:1 if 3:1 didn't work out very well.

Sometimes, when you have a high blood sugar, the toxicity of the Glucose in the system can also have a affect, After around 10.0 BG, the 1 Unit of QA brings down your BG 2-3 mmol rule doesn't apply. So you may need alot more insulin to bring it down.

I would recommend exercising abit more if you can (Treadmill, light jogging to start off with). Exercising can help the insulin you take work abit better, (after a few weeks of regular exercise).

When my sugars are over 10.0, I take around 1 unit for a 1-2 mmol drop. (Im a slim athletic individual, excercise regularly)

I would say to Up your ratio to 3:1, see how that goes, and then to 4:1 if that don't work. Obesity has a huge affect on insulin use in the body, so you most probably need a bit more then what your taking now.
Also, I would say after your BG goes above 12.0 mmol, take more insulin and monitor your progress after 3 hours, if its still too high, increase your dose (ONLY when your BG is over 12 mmol), else go back to your normal ratios (In this case 3:1 or 4:1)

Just my 2 cents! Very Happy

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

My protocol with the higher blood readings (over 12 mmol/l), is to correct normally but add 1 unit of insulin on to that.

This is purely because the normal porportions of insulin to sugar decrease does not apply, this may be because I am overweigght!!

I t works good for me.......