Dexcom G6

4 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

SimonC DAFNE Graduate
NHS Harrow
78 posts

Any users of any of the Dexcom CGM tools, esp the G5 here, and if at all possible any switched to the G6.

I have been using the Libre sensor for quite a long time now, and I love it, but the fact that it is flash rather than CGM is a bit of a downer - the ability to get alerts when you are going high or low sounds attractive and I wondered if anyone here has any experience good or bad.

I would have to go self funded, and that is a pain, I do love the NHS, but my Dr is so limited in her support for modern tech, and no doubt focused on her costs.

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
421 posts

Hi Simon, I use the G4 and love it. The G5 and G6 would work out much more expensive for me as they have hard-coded limits on the transmitter (3 months). I can get a year out of a G4 transmitter, and the sensors can last for up to 6 weeks on my body although it produces sensible readings usually only for 3-4 weeks.

If the Dexcom G4 stops being supported, then I'll probably come off CGM entirely as I use it for the alerts so Freestyle Libre wouldn't give me what I want, but the G5 and G6 too expensive for me.

Peter DUAG Committee Member
University College London Hospitals (UCLH)
109 posts

The other possibility is to use one of the 3rd party companies who are providing add-ons which provide alerts from the Libre e.g. https://miaomiao.cool/. I can't personally vouch for the product although I have met people using it who have been very positive. Failing that Libre v2 is rumored to have alerts when that comes, perhaps next year??

SimonC DAFNE Graduate
NHS Harrow
78 posts

Cheers guys

In the end I did go with the G6 - and I do like the alerts - it isn't without its issues though - 1 of which is stickyness - I never had a Libre ever come off, 14 days for each, but the G6 is almost falling off after 10 days, and I have started using (an additional cost) SkinTac to keep it on. There are also some reliability issues - I haven't had any yet, but many in the FB forum are.

To be honest - as it stands, I don't think I will renew the 12 month contract - a) 12 months is a long time, b) the issues reported mean I am not too convinced this is as great as it seems, and c) whilst the Libre doesn't have alerts - yet! adding the miaomiao tool may mean that this is a better tool.

Cheers