Four O'clock Follies (or why does my BG fall off a cliff at 4pm)

6 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Biker Andy DAFNE Graduate
Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust
3 posts

Dear Assembled Pancreatic-ally Challenged,

As DAFNE-ilise by CP ratios and tweak my BI levels, as I've got my BG levels back to "my feet won't fall off" levels I've noticed a strange problem, my BG levels really start to drop at around 4pm. I can see from my Libre that everything is stable up to them, then it falls off a cliff (a 2m/mol drop in an hour).

Any one got any bright ideas as to why it might be happening? And solutions (ideally ones that don't involve a new regular 4pm Krispy Kreme)

thanks, all

Andy

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Can you please share your DAFNE diary with this thread? (Select dates in the "Include my Blood Glucose Diary entries between" section below). In the diary also include anything relevant such as exercise, times of stress, or when stress is released. We then have a better idea of your doses, when they occur and can make better suggestions. Otherwise it is just too vague. Thanks.

3 posts

Sorry to be so tardy in my reply. Dropping BI, CP ratio and injecting half hour before eating have solved this - or reduced it to a degree that its effect is negligible.

KitsuneRin DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals, Leicester
2 posts

I have this same problem, it's strange Sad I think it is CP ratios though.

3 posts

That's what my consultant recommended as well - I've already dropped daytime BI by 2 and dropped lunch CP ratio from 5:2 to 9:4 and now 3:2. I will start to look at a 7:4 ratio.....

KitsuneRin DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals, Leicester
2 posts

Yeah, I was on 2:1 and I'm having to bring it up to 3:1 just to keep stable... I used to be on 1:1 so this is all new and feels like SO much insulin