Problems with loaner pumps

8 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Jo Smith DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
8 posts

Just wondering if there are others who have had issues with a loaner pump? I started using a pump (Medtronic 640g) in February this year and because I was not eligible for a pump until January 2019 I was given a loaner pump for 12 months. When the technology works it is fantastic but I am disappointed in the many failures I have had! The first pump alerted "Insulin blocked" and after changing my infusion set and retrying I got the same alert. I spoke to the Medtronic helpline and they then said they would replace the pump for me. With the second pump the same thing occurred whilst on a cruise holiday and I then reverted to insulin injections until I returned home. I spoke to Medtronic and they did trouble shooting. After 3 weeks of using the replacement pump again I was alerted to "insulin blocked", however I retried bolussing without changing infusion set and it worked! Now they are saying there is a problem with the pump which is sending an inaccurate alert. Once again they are replacing my 2nd pump and I am at my wits end. I have decided that if this 3rd pump fails then I will revert to injecting again until I am eligible for a brand new pump next January. I have to wonder if other pump users are having these problems and if the loaner pumps are not up to scratch and are causing endless stress!! J0

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I don't use the 640g so cant really comment but I don't think I have heard any other people on other forums having this particular software issue, if it is software as Medtronic have told you.....

could it be the infusion set that's the problem.....? could maybe try another one....what one are you using now....?

you could always try another brand if they are on offer..

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Hi,
Had a 640G for around 2 years now and have never had an issue with it, apart from the plastic clips that fit to the back of it breaking Wink I have never seen an insulin blocked error so would leave that to Medtronic to diagnose.....

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

marke said:
Hi,
Had a 640G for around 2 years now and have never had an issue with it, apart from the plastic clips that fit to the back of it breaking Wink I have never seen an insulin blocked error so would leave that to Medtronic to diagnose.....

is it the same clip that goes on to the Veo?

I have had quite a few failures, although I have became a tad more careful with it now...

Jo Smith DAFNE Graduate
8 posts

Hi Marke,

I have been in contact with Medtronic and after trying to problem solve they have sent me a replacement loaner pump twice as they said there was nothing wrong with the infusion set (Sure T) and this morning I connected the third replacement pump!! So far so good!!! Fingers crossed it will be third time lucky! I honestly would not have bothered with a loaner pump had I realised how much stress it would cause me! In January I will qualify for a brand NEW pump so I'm looking forward to that. Laughing

Jo Smith DAFNE Graduate
8 posts

novorapidboi26 said:
I don't use the 640g so cant really comment but I don't think I have heard any other people on other forums having this particular software issue, if it is software as Medtronic have told you.....

could it be the infusion set that's the problem.....? could maybe try another one....what one are you using now....?

you could always try another brand if they are on offer..

I am going to try another infusion set (Silhouette) although Medtronic said there was nothing wrong with the infusion set I was using!

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
218 posts

Hi Jo, I have had a 640g for a couple of years and have had several "insulin block" alerts. Mine appear to be bubbles in the reservoir! I run about 10units through pump (plays havoc with the data) and then reposition the pump ensuring the pump is upside down (I wear it in a pocket not using the clip...this puts any bubbles at the bottom away from where the insulin comes out). Very occasionally it is the infusion set...a kink in the cannula. I also use the Silhouette and have had very few issues. Have not ever needed a loaner pump from Medtronic. Helen

Jo Smith DAFNE Graduate
8 posts

Hi HelenP,
Thanks for your advice! I have ordered a Silhouette infusion set and look forward to using it! No more "insulin blocked" alerts with the latest replacement pump! Yee haa!