Search the DAFNE Online Forums

melissa_coleman DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust - Salford Royal Hospital
4 posts

Can stress increase your blood sugars?

DavidJ DAFNE Graduate
Tameside and Glossop Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
23 posts

I think so. I was told once that adrenalin counters the effect of insulin and I would imagine other hormones can have similar effects.

melissa_coleman DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust - Salford Royal Hospital
4 posts

I have just found out that my mum is getting married to this guy she has known for just over a week and I have one month to find somewhere to live! And my blood sugars are now really playing up!

Kentbabe DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
10 posts

i have found that stress plays havock with my blood sugar levels. Though they do settle again fairly fast. Good luck finding a place to live tho.

Anil DAFNE Graduate
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust
39 posts

Hi, Melissa,
I know its a bit late, but just in case anyone else has had issue's like this.

Yes, Stress is primarily down to excess cortisol production in the body, this can happen at times of emotional (and sometimes physical) stress.
Cortisol is also known as the "Stress" hormone in the body.
Cortisol counteracts the affect of insulin, so you may find you need more insulin to bring your sugars down more then normal for a short time (While your stressed).

I have also had previous experience of this, I have suffered from work related stress and found it does increase your BG levels (Because insulin doesn't work as well, and you need more of it)

After a few nights of sleep, you'll find you feel a bit better, stress affects all of us all the time, but when we go to sleep, our brain does amazing things to help filter out negative thoughts and emotions and keep us "Sane". You may find that when under stress after a good nights sleep, you tend to look at it in a different light, (Maybe it isn't so bad after all?) thus alleviating the symptoms, stress & excess cortisol in the body associated with it.

I hope you resolve your issue's soon, and if you still find yourself with high BG levels, consider (Temporarily) adjusting your Ratio's until their back to normal and you feel better!

Although it may not seem like it, Exercise is a great way to relive stress. (Exercise release endorphins into your body creating a "Slight Natural High", This is a great way to alleviate stress and feel good about your future and outlook).

Hope this helps!... and.. Keep smiling Very Happy