DAFNE Course Material

7 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Ethan 1 post

Hi all,

does anyone know where I can get any documentation for the DAFNE course? Unfortunately I work two jobs and I'm studying for my MA so I can't get the time off. I do however need to adopt the plan. I'm currently calculating my units at 2 per 10g of cabohydrate and it seems to be working well, however I'd look more info if I can get it?

I wish there was an e-learning course for this as it would help a lot of people who are actively trying to adopt the program, but can't take time off from work.

Thanks,

Ethan

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I don't think the DAFNE course material is available to anyone who isn't a graduate unfortunately..........but its still worth asking the question at your clinic as they might provide the handbook....

Its available on here once you have received your graduate code....

There is however a good alternative to use if you cant make it along to a course called BERTIE....

It can be found here

And of course, any questions you may have can be asked on here.....

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

absolutely !! Bertie is worth checking and speak to your Diabetes team about structured education , everyone should be offered it and its not just DAFNE. It depends on where you live but everyone should have access to some kind of education and a lot of courses ( including DAFNE) do 5 x 1 day courses over 5 weeks.

fred67 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
4 posts

I was introduced to carb counting when the novo pens first appeared on the market..20 plus years ago...I am waiting to do a dafne course, been 8 months now,I have a good understanding of carb counting, although it was described as “only a way I can understand” ..which is fine, being that it is i that manages my diabetes on a daily basis, insulin adjustments etc etc... I find your database of carbs great, saves a lot of reading of different packets...
I have also done Bertie online course...
Is there anywhere I can do a Dafne online course? As I feel I will never get an appointment here in Glasgow..

fred67 DAFNE Graduate
4 posts

Or is there any plans for this site to enable online course...I am certain there are more out there that would benefit...

Peter DUAG Committee Member
University College London Hospitals (UCLH)
109 posts

fred67 said:
I was introduced to carb counting when the novo pens first appeared on the market..20 plus years ago...I am waiting to do a dafne course, been 8 months now,I have a good understanding of carb counting, although it was described as “only a way I can understand” ..which is fine, being that it is i that manages my diabetes on a daily basis, insulin adjustments etc etc... I find your database of carbs great, saves a lot of reading of different packets...
I have also done Bertie online course...
Is there anywhere I can do a Dafne online course? As I feel I will never get an appointment here in Glasgow..

@Fred67, Glasgow is one of the biggest DAFNE centres in the UK so you shouldn't have too much difficulty getting on a course assuming you have 5 days available. Talk to your consultant or DSN. As Mark stated, structured education is included in the NICE requirements for the treatment of T1 and so should be available to anyone who wants it. You have the advantage of being located in one of the 170 areas of the UK where the DAFNE course is offered.

fred67 DAFNE Graduate
4 posts

I have been waiting here in Glasgow since last November to do course, I will email DSN see what’s going on... thanks