Libre to be available on the NHS.....

22 posts, 12 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I never thought that would happen.....

I wonder what boxes will need to be ticked to get one....

michaelj DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
45 posts

Can I ask where you got this from. Seeing my DSN tomorrow so might try asking for it

NiVZ DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
82 posts

The date for this being available is from November 1st and there are still a lot of processes to be put in place before anyone can get them on prescription.

Lots of good information here:

http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/cgm/libre/

and here:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/get_involved/campaigning/flash-glucose-monitoring

NiVZ

AnnBL DAFNE Graduate
Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board
1 post

NICE MIB 110

https://www.nice.org.uk/advice/mib110/chapter/Summary

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

I hope Abbott are geared-up for the volume of sensors that will be required.

michaelj DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
45 posts

Mentioned this to my DSN and when I told her the likely cost she laughed and said no chance, so if you are hoping to get one ,don't hold your breath

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

At the Diabetes APPG meeting they had that lead to the decision, they did not neglect to mention the notorious postcode lottery issue. I really expect it to have the same barriers people have for getting things like insulin pumps, so definitely agree about not holding one's breath. Sad Best wishes to anyone who asks. My local hospital decided to run some Libre device trials last year but they stopped doing that earlier this this year. Hopefully they'll change their tune back with this news.

Stuarth DAFNE Graduate
Milton Keynes
1 post

Many people won’t get it each sensor is around £60 you will only get it in certain circumstances... a scan of a libre is also not recognised by dvla as a pre driving glucose test.. I’ll get mine on nhs as I was going to get it independently funded anyway as I am a scaffolder that has no hypoglycaemic awareness

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I am pretty confident I will get one....I am pumping and I have early maculopathy.....

What does independently funded mean @Stuarth? As in not by you? Who would pay then?

Maybelline10 DAFNE Graduate
Hertfordshire Community NHS Trust
1 post

If the NHS fund these for children then I am happy to pay for mine!
Diabetic for 47 years and have beenon the libre for 2 week trial now and it is brilliant and am going to cut out something to fund it.
For all these years I have put up with injections and testing so the new Libre is the best thing to have happened to me since slice bread was invented!!!
It will be worth it but of course if the NHS fund it for me I will be truly and utterly grateful for giving me a new start to go forward.
I have got this far and have a good record so it can only make it better for me, but of course I know it will be a postcode lottery.