Wits end

7 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

DoricAndy 2 posts

Been on Dafne now for 10 + years and have had a few ups and downs over the years BUT just recently I my bloods have been running riot and I cannot seem to get a grip of them. Just recently my partner decided it was time to try a low carb diet - good but since starting this regime my bloods have been running consistently high, running at around 14/15. In the morning I can be spot on at about 6, have my "low" carb breakfast, usually soya yogurt, some seeds and maybe 5 strawberries, I take 3 units to cover the strawberries as the yogurt and seed are negligible, Test 2 hours after breakfast and I'm running at 10/11, after that it's all downhill..........
What concerns me is that no matter how I try to correct I don't seem to bring down blood levels, even eating a low carb meal doesn't seem to help. There is no rhyme nor reason as to why this big change (or is there), or is it just a sign that I'm getting oldSad
Since starting Dafne I have always used a 1:2 ratio and this has worked out fine, but is it time to reassess ratios even though it hasn't let me down over the past 10+ years and nothing seems to have upset my regime (except my "new diet").
Any ideas?

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

As you have said its time to reassess......both the ratios and the basal...........the basal first is wise......you should also try and establish your correction factor.....normally between 2 and 3 mmol per unit of insulin, but this can be tweaked too....

You should also consider experimenting with dose timing once you have conformed basal and insulin/carb ratios...

What insulin are you using...?

DoricAndy 2 posts

Insulin - Novorapid & Levemir. Levemir split into am & pm dosage

Correction factor - 2 or 3 units max based on lowering bloods by 4-6, but CF dependant on how much I'm "over" 6

Could you elaborate on dose timings, what exactly do you mean.

What I don't get is why this is happening now after all these years, I'm not suffering from some lurgy.
I'm sounding like a newbie here and I've been diabetic 50 years!!!!!!!!

torana DAFNE Graduate
Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW
53 posts

Hi Andy,
I can empathise with your situation of up and down BG's. I try to limit the amount of variables in order to get some data to ascertain where I'm going throughout the week. I find giving my doses as soon as I get home from work at say at 5.00pm creates a constant. It also gives time for small adjustments later on in the night without worrying too much. By doing this I can get measurements and BGs at the same time every day which makes it easier to compare.
On another tangent, there has been much discussion on low carb diets. I started on one and found my sugars were rising after dinner. I also love yoghurt with nuts, strawberries and cinnamon spread on top for my meal. After a meeting with my dietician I realised that in yogurt and nuts are fats and proteins which were not added to my calculations. There is literature on fats and proteins being a significant factor in increasing BGs. I have also found that diabetes control is not consistent or easy. All the best

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

DoricAndy said:
Insulin - Novorapid & Levemir. Levemir split into am & pm dosage

Correction factor - 2 or 3 units max based on lowering bloods by 4-6, but CF dependant on how much I'm "over" 6

Could you elaborate on dose timings, what exactly do you mean.

What I don't get is why this is happening now after all these years, I'm not suffering from some lurgy.

I thought I had responded on my phone....

Dose timings refers to the time between injecting and actually eating....novorapid takes 10-15 minutes to get going properly so you should wait that time minimum before eating. This will get your post meal spikes down...

You should do basal testing though and then move on to the insulin carb ratios...just the way DAFNE teaches...

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

DoricAndy said:

Sadly the goal posts do move for all sorts of reasons. Sad Keep working at it. All the best.

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

If you can share your diary, then we can make some suggestions. First off, compare your before bed and waking readings. If you are regularly waking up higher than when you go to bed, then take a look at increasing your basal insulin - 1 unit or 10 %, then wait three days to observe any changes before making any further adjustments.

Frustrating I know. I find that low-carb does make it a lot easier for me to control my blood sugars, but every now and again my insulin sensitivity takes a dive, or goes the other way without rhyme or reason and I need to adjust basal and insulin ratios all over again.

And as mentioned previously in this thread, some T1Ds (myself among them) find that protein needs to be accounted for when dosing when having a low carb meal.