Top tips that people have learnt from their diabetes education course

6 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Peter DUAG Committee Member
University College London Hospitals (UCLH)
109 posts

I’ve been asked by Diabetes UK to ask for input to their latest survey:.

Hi

Diabetes UK is launching an exciting new project collecting the top tips that people have learnt from their diabetes education course. As a DAFNE graduate we want to hear from you about the top tip that you took away from the course. What was the best thing you learnt? What did you take away that changed your life?

We’ll use some of the tips we receive to produce a free resource for people living with diabetes that will launch in the autumn. The resource will give everyone an idea of just some of the life changing tips that you can learn from courses like DAFNE that can help you face the challenges of living with diabetes.

If you’d like to take part please follow this link to let us know your top tip.

We know that far too few people currently attend diabetes education courses. We hope that by sharing these top tips, the resource will help more people manage their diabetes well, and encourage more people to attend courses like DAFNE.

Thanks

Jess Hodge
Campaigns & Public Affairs Support Officer
Diabetes UK

torana DAFNE Graduate
Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW
53 posts

Hi Catarina
I read your forum reply and felt that I had been in your situation on many occasions. I sought assistance by going to my local doctor or endocrinologist for advice, seeking out dieticians that are experts in
pre diabetes and getting a sickness letter from my doctor for making your exams and lectures less of a burden for you. I found there are really good people out there to assist for those with diabetes. Please keep in contact with the forum as I am sure there are many to assist you in this difficult time.

jh0 DAFNE Graduate
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust
16 posts

The only thing I learnt from it was reading the carbohydrate label on foods. Let's face it, the rest of it is essentially just massaged BS.

Exclamation

jh0 DAFNE Graduate
16 posts

When is there going to be a cure? 30 years ago they were talking about a cure. So where is it?
I wanted to become an aircraft pilot 20 years ago but I couldn't be allowed.
Guess will have to settle for being a dimmy diabetic.

torana DAFNE Graduate
Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW
53 posts

Hi jh0. You’re no dimmy diabetic, just conned like many of us by short term studies, tips and fake media highlighting “success” whilst as stated many times “92% of Type1 are outside the normative Hba1c range.” A tip is not enough! We want key guidance how to maintain Hba1c with range over the long term!
How does this happen? Global pharmaceuticals pushing apps, research and medicinals. Their market is in the billions and influence on government bodies unimaginable. Isn’t it just great to hear about success. Theresa May with her app surrounded by her endos and advisors so she can get through a parliamentary session or a sportsman with a medical crew in the background kicking the winning goal. This is not “real” life and leaves the rest of us feeling sh…….

jh0 DAFNE Graduate
16 posts

Over the last few years I have very little exposure to media, marketing or hype. My levels have been < 65 consistently. Come to think about it, I've also had limited exposure to DAFNE over this time too.
All this and that is going but there's very little actual progress being made. What I've seen in the past 15-20 years is a cultural and industrial bias shifting towards "showing" to do something regardless of actual achievements, results, outcomes.