Worth doing DAFNE?

18 posts, 10 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Pip510 DAFNE Graduate
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
4 posts

Anyone that gets offered the option to do the course should go for it and not be worried about their age or whether it is worth it.
I have just finished mine today and although I thought I knew a fair bit about my diabetes this course is great for getting to meet others in the same boat as you and to learn about how to manage your regime.
You will learn a load and get invaluable support Smile

pmason DAFNE Graduate
Knox Community Health Service, Victoria
11 posts

Couldn't agree more Pip510. I did the course in Melbourne (at Knox) last year at age 69. It taught me heaps and I'm still learning.

Russ28 DAFNE Graduate
4 posts

Without a doubt I did DAFNE here in UK when it first started here 17 years ago and just done it again as a refresher and the knowledge you gain is invaluable

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Russ28 said:
Without a doubt I did DAFNE here in UK when it first started here 17 years ago and just done it again as a refresher and the knowledge you gain is invaluable

17 years ago....wow, I was diagnosed just longer than that and I had no clue about any of it until 2007......not just DAFNE though, just carb counting and dosing....

was there MDI regimes back then...?

Russ28 DAFNE Graduate
4 posts

Like I say I was one of the first, in Sheffield at least and I think nationwide at that point majority of us I think were on set number of injections per day morning and evening for myself and strict carb counts for meals and snacks, any chocolate, biscuits snacking other than in the regime was big time cane my ass sin lol

novorapidboi26 said:

Russ28 said:

17 years ago....wow, I was diagnosed just longer than that and I had no clue about any of it until 2007......not just DAFNE though, just carb counting and dosing....

was there MDI regimes back then...?

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

So was it actually DAFNE back then if you couldn't really adjust your dose in the sense you can now....

Russ28 DAFNE Graduate
4 posts

novorapidboi26 said:
So was it actually DAFNE back then if you couldn't really adjust your dose in the sense you can now....

yes the set injections I was referring to was the pre DAFNE days although obviously things are constantly changing and new techniques etc but it was the DAFNE of the time.

BAirlie
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
1 post

I was doing dose adjustment informally for years before I attended the DAFNE course and my HbA1c has always been around 6.0. however, I learnt a lot on the course and, whilst I don't count cabs scientifically as a rule, I still fall back to DAFNE principles if my results go askew for more than a day or two.

I would definitely recommend attending if possible as, as a minimum, it reinforces some of the things your daughter may already know and it also gives the chance to share experiences with other attendees and to see what works or doesn't work for them