Hot Tubs

3 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Sarahlawlor DAFNE Graduate
Hillingdon Hospital NHS Trust
4 posts

I recently heard that Type 1 Diabetics should not use hot tubs as it can cause our BG to decrease quite rapidly, is this true?
Had anyone else experienced this?
Sarah

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Heat tends to make insulin work faster. I sometimes find that a hot shower will drop my BGLs quicker than I was expecting, but it doesn't always happen. Whether it would make your BGL decrease rapidly would depend largely on how much insulin you had on board. If you had just had a large dose of carbs and had taken a large amount of insulin to cover it, then you may find that your BGL would decrease quicker than usual. But you may not too. Everyone responds differently to different external factors and external heat can be one that affects some but not others. Just be careful, and test a little more regularly to see if your BGL is affected or not when in a hot tub.

Sarahlawlor DAFNE Graduate
Hillingdon Hospital NHS Trust
4 posts

Warwick, thanks for your reply and advice I will take it on board. of course I now recall from the DAFNE course that heat can effect absorption of insulin and I found when on holiday I needed to reduce my BI doses as the temp was usually 30 degrees each day and I more hypo's than usual. so of course the same would apply in a hot temp as the temp is 38degrees and we have been sitting in it for around an hour at a time. I will always check my BG before and after and reduce my time in there.
thanks again, Sarah