Help or advice...please?

5 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

kid127 DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals, Leicester
25 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Hi,

Can anyone offer any advice on my sugar levels at the moment? My levels seem to be rising

BG Averages
Last 7 days: 8.4 (38 entries)
Last 14 days: 8.0 (52 entries)
Last 30 days: 7.0 (131 entries)

even though i eat similar meals at similar times and have now moved my injection sites my sugar levels seem to have a mind of their own. What works as a ratio one day doesnt the next.

I was going high during the night so i increased my background by a unit but last night it sent me low. I seem to be constantly chasing my tail even though a few months ago everything was perfectly fine, i even managed to get my hba1c down to 6.5.

I use novorapid and lantus, which i inject at 1pm every day

I read a post where people said that their lantus wasn't working for 24 hours so they split the dose, do you think i should try this? The problem i have is that my problems are over night when the lantus is theoretically at its strongest so i'm not sure this would help.

I have an appointment with consultant bit earliest I could get is 5 weeks time, i dont want to spend every night in the next 5 weeks correcting my doses.

Any advice anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

Sheila_Kay DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
11 posts

Hi Lee,

I hope that by now you have had some help with your blood sugars, I am on Novorapid and lantus and just when I think I have got my readings level they can go up or down. I had to split my lantus which does work well for me. 7am and 7pm. I find that when I try to keep my meals to set times and not too many carbs my sugars are better, but I do shift work and that does make me tired and effect my readings. Have you tried changing the time you give your lantus?
How are you getting on now. Sheila

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Hey Lee.........

It seems to me that most of the time your background lantus is doing ok..........if not too much, even when your dose was 13 you were still coming down by morning........have you ever tried changing your background injection time.....experimenting with that might set you up better for the day.......

Its hard to tell whats going on as the QA doses on your diary are confusing with the CP amounts because you have not put down the ratios...........it would suggest to me you are quite sensitive to insulin, having ratios of 0.1-1:1......

What are your ratiios?

Apart from the ups and downs your control not bad at all!!

kid127 DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals, Leicester
25 posts

Hi,

Thanks for the messages. I had an appointment with my consultant and spilt my background does which helped a bit but I also went for an appointment to look at getting a pump this morning and I think thats the way I'm going to go. The pump nurse thinks my problem might be because of injction sites and the pump should help with this. I need to wait until October to get it fitted but I'm looking forward to it after reading other peoples comments about pumps on this site

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Thats good news, I have heard all good stories for pumps, in the long run anyway...

It is meant to be quite a task at the start working out your doses and delivery times, but once that is established the benefits are good....

Keep us posted.......