no pancreas

7 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

pjc21 DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
8 posts

I am a recent diabetic, with type 1 symptoms, but not the usual history. I had a pancreatectomy a year ago, which has caused the state. The difference in my case is that, without a pancreas, I have no digestive enzymes, and have to take Creon with every meal, so that the food is digested for the insulin to get to work on it. It makes life more complicated having three variables to juggle, rather than two. Is anyone else in the same situation?

sdhanani DAFNE Graduate
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust
4 posts

Yes I have the same problem, I try and take more freon if my carb count is on the high side

pjc21 DAFNE Graduate
8 posts

Thanks for reply. I'm interested in the idea that the Creon dose may influence the BG level. At the moment I'm taking 4 Creon and 5 units of Novorapid at breakfast, 6 Creon and 6 units at lunch, and 6 Creon and 8 units at dinner. My BG levels average about 6-8 at breakfast and lunch, but are up around 9-12 at dinner and bedtime. Does this match any of your readings? And how many Creon do you find make how much difference? I have found that my diabetes nurse is not sure about Creon doses, and my dietician is not sure about Novorapid doses, which is why I'm looking for other people's experience.

sdhanani DAFNE Graduate
4 posts

Do you take any background insulin

sdhanani DAFNE Graduate
4 posts

What dose if Creon do you take 10,000 units or 25,000units?
I take 25,000units x3-4 for upto 10 CP, then 25,000x2 for snacks.
Do you use Dafne principles for your Novorapid?
Prior to DAFNE my BG were all over one minute 15 then couple of hours later a hypo.
After attending Dafne and applying principles my BG is getting better.
And by trial and error with Creon I came up to my normal dose for 10 CP,
Plus we have to remember we can't have big meals....

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

The pancreas is also responsible for Glucagon production which is involved with the liver and its store of glucose....

what effect has this had?

I would imagine this makes hypos a but more critical.....

pjc21 DAFNE Graduate
8 posts

Hello sdhanani and novorapidboi. Thanks for your notes. I'm on less Creon than you. I take 4 @ 25,000 for breakfast (5 CP) and 6 or 7 for lunch and supper (6 – 8 CP), but I don't now think that that is the problem, because my digestion seems okay. My BG level is mostly okay for breakfast and lunch (7 or Cool but then often goes down to 4 or 3 mid-afternoon. If I correct with dextrose or cake, even only 1 CP, it then tends to go high for supper (12, 13, 14). I'm interested in the glucagon point, atlhough I'm not having real hypos, just the “aura”. Maybe the problem is just being more insulin sensitive? I have good days with all readings around 7 or 8, then, with the same food and exercise, same insulin doses (QA: 5 – 7 - 8, BI: 5 – 2), there are days when it's up into the teens. I'm also wondering about caffeine and statins, which I've read can interfere with insulin absorption. I'm trying to use decaf (despite having read how they make it ...), and I'm going back to my GP ask about the statin, which they increased a while back. Do you have any experience with caffeine or statin?