Would you like to help redevelop the DAFNE course?

4 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Peter DUAG Committee Member
University College London Hospitals (UCLH)
109 posts

I've been asked to post the following from the DAFNEplus Research team:

A research team, led by Professor Simon Heller (Professor of Clinical Diabetes at the University of Sheffield), are currently working on a research project called DAFNEplus, with the aim of improving the current DAFNE course to help graduates better manage their condition over the longer term.

We are looking to introduce behaviour change techniques and a model of follow up support, combined with new technology, into the DAFNE programme. We will be testing this out at some diabetes centres next year, ahead of a full trial later in the study. Patients have been working with the team to help redevelop DAFNE and will continue to provide input throughout the course of the research, but we’re looking to get more patients involved in our Patient Advisory Groups (based in Sheffield and London) and hoped you may be able to help!

If you are:

• a DAFNE graduate who has struggled with the course (either during and / or in maintaining the skills afterwards) and have a HbA1c over 8.5% / 69 mmol/mol; or
  • a type 1 diabetes patient who has not yet been on DAFNE
  • then we are interested in hearing from you!

You will also need to live in the UK and preferably in or near either Sheffield or London – we will have fairly regular face-to-face meetings of the groups over the next 5 years, although you don’t have to attend them all and we can be flexible to your needs. You will be paid for your involvement with the Advisory Group.

If you are interested in being involved or have any questions then please contact Dan Beever, Patient and Public Involvement Research Assistant on the DAFNEplus study ([email protected] / 0114 2220820) as soon as possible. You can also find out more about the progress of the study so far on the DAFNEplus blog - https://dafneplusresearch.wordpress.com/.

sjohno DAFNE Graduate
    University Hospital of Derby & Burton NHS FT
    37 posts

As much as I would love to help out I just don't meet the guidelines requested as DAFNE changed my life lol. I live in between Ashbourne and Derby and would have loved to help out. Smile

May I respectfully suggest that maybe you post this on the Type 1 Diabetes forum as there are several people on there who have a very negative view on DAFNE.

thanks and regards

Sarah

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
    James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
    587 posts

Sadly I don't live anywhere close to either of those specified locations. :/ Apparently there are people who struggled at my hospital but I know you already know that.

Best wishes to the project.

Peter DUAG Committee Member
    University College London Hospitals (UCLH)
    109 posts

This request has now been closed following the response from this post and a parallel e-mail sent to the members of the DAFNE Graduate Group.

Thank you to all of those who have responded to our request for additional patient input into the
    DAFNE Plus Patient Advisory Groups. We’ve had a phenomenal response and as such, we are not
    looking for any further input at this time.

We will be in touch with those who have shown an interest already to find out more about their
    experience of DAFNE and provide more information about the project and potential involvement going
    forward (unfortunately, due to resource limitations, we can’t involve everyone).

Once again, thank you for your support.