ICE

6 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

SimonC DAFNE Graduate
NHS Harrow
78 posts

I was reading on here that someone had had a Tattoo done - to tell/inform first responders of their condition - and I thought that was a good idea, and I wished I was brave enough to do it, and then on another thread, someone else was using the RoadId wrist bracelet.

Over the years I have had a few of these things - but looking at the Road Id site, I thought they were very good - and so ordered a bracelet with:

my 'name',
'wifes details',
'GP surgery',
'Diabetic Type 1',
'No 'Morphine' and
'metal plates in my leg'

etched onto a tag. All good info to give, and then I saw they did an App - IoS and Android.

The App is free - which is great, and it provides ICE info on the lock screen - again useful.

So I wondered - what other good ICE things there were out there - I'm sure there are lots, and as T1 we ought to be able to inform first responders, and so collectively we should be pulling all these things together to allow other forum members to take their pick.

There must be quite a few products out there for people to choose from.

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

Hi Simon,

My son is an ambo and he tells me they always check the (mobile) phone (any mobile phone) as lots of information available especially with numbers listed as: HOME, WORK, GP as well as ICE.
Helen

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

+1 for the Road ID. I have had once since a few weeks after my diagnosis in 2010 and it is always on me. The straps last ages, usually a couple of years at least.

SimonC DAFNE Graduate
NHS Harrow
78 posts

HelenP said:
Hi Simon,

My son is an ambo and he tells me they always check the (mobile) phone (any mobile phone) as lots of information available especially with numbers listed as: HOME, WORK, GP as well as ICE.
Helen

Hi Helen - Thanks for the post - thats why I mentioned the ICE Apps - as its hard to check the info on a phone if it is locked and the person is unable to unlock it - IOS does have an inbuilt Medical page accessible from the lock screen - but I suspect that most people don't know it is there and so don't fill it in to make it available, and most wouldn't know how to get to it from the lock screen.

The Road ID App is quite good - but there are many others, and in IOS, having seen how the Road ID does it, you can do the same thing from Notes - just open up a new Note page, press return a few times to get the start of the info below the lock screen clock, type what you want others to see - and then take a screen shot of the note page (home and power together), and set that photo to be your lock screen page - and Bob is your Aunty - the data you want available is viewable on the lock screen.

This works, but isn't very neat, the proper Apps look a lot better as they are formatted nicely.

Your son - and others, can treat people so much better if they have this sort of info - which is why 'ambo' staff - and other blue light services look for medical alert bracelets - and more recently phone screens. Ambulance staff do a great job - and we can help them do an even better one by giving them information they can use.

SimonC DAFNE Graduate
NHS Harrow
78 posts

Warwick said:
+1 for the Road ID. I have had once since a few weeks after my diagnosis in 2010 and it is always on me. The straps last ages, usually a couple of years at least.

Hi Warwick - I agree the RoadID is quite a good bit of kit - and at a reasonable price - although I didn't like getting stung by a)customs and then b) Royal mail for extra payments. I don't mind too much the Customs charge, but I did object to Royal Mail charging me £8 just to tell me Customs had slapped £5.25 tax and by the way - you have to collect it.

To be fair I asked RoadID to see if they could add the customs charges into their overseas costs - in the same way Amazon US do if you buy from the US Amazon site, and they not only gave me a small refund, but also did acknowledged it was something they needed to look at.

Thanks for the post.

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Wow. I had them sent to me in New Zealand and Australia and no taxes or custom charges at all. I don't believe that we have any charges/tax to pay in either country unless the item is worth more than $400 (NZ) or $1000 (Australia) which the Road ID certainly isn't. I forgot about those charges from when I used to live in the UK. Perhaps RoadID should look at setting up a local UK operation.