free style libre sensor problem

7 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Mans 2 posts

Hi,
Hi,
I used the free style libre for the first time since 7 days. It works fine and gives readings. Yesterday, I received the following message to replace the current sensor by new one. Accordingly, I replaced the old sensor with the new one, when the reader scan for new sensor, it gives following message
"Please check sensor. If it is loose from your skin, please remove the sensor and start a new one. If it is applied properly, try starting sensor again."
After that, the reader requesting new sensor to scan it, gives a normal message to wait for 60 minutes, when scan the sensor to get reading, it gives the earlier message and started 60 minutes waiting again. This happened until now 4 - 5 times with the same attitude. I am quite sure that new sensor is fixed well on the arm but i do not know what is going on? any clues? Thanks

Mans

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

I use the Medtronic sensor and had a similar "fail". Tried everything but ended up replacing sensor...expensive exercise! Helen

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
218 posts

I just had a second "fail...replace sensor". Tried four to five times to "reconnect" but nothing worked.

I am in the process of seeing what I can do. Ought we not be given a refund..."not fit for purpose"? Or at least a replacement.

Currently I purchase them on a 5 per month scheme for $AUD250. As they last six days If you have a fail it costs $50 but then if you use another sensor you will not have enough to last the month. Currently having it on for 6 days (the life of one sensor) have it off for sundays and replace on the Monday morning.

Helen

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
218 posts

OK Update...I rang Medtronic and after they quizzed me and verified my complaint by the data that was in my pump, they are replacing the sensor...it will be here within 24 hours. They did ask me to send them the old sensor but I had already thrown it out...so advice keep the sensor and send it in with the complaint.

Helen

Mans 2 posts

Thanks for everybody.
I think the only alternative solution is to replace the sensor, I hope it will work this time. I will updating you with the latest.

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
218 posts

Mans, Just had an email from the "educator" apparently the Medtronic sensors occasionally fail but they are working on changing the algorithm so that they fail less frequently. I suggest you try and get a replacement/refund. The company needs to know about the "fails". Helen

pjc21 DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
8 posts

I've been using the Freestyle Libre over the last few months. I've had two failures -- once I think when I pushed the sensor in at an angle, and the needle must have bent, and another time when some of the plaster came away with the applicator. Although the needle was in on both occasions, the meter wouldn't read the sensor. On both occasions I rang Abbott (UK) and they agreed replace it, free. So my advice is to ring, and politely claim a replacement. I have also several times asked a friendly nurse to supervise me, and they seem very pleased to learn a new technique. Hope this helps.