Is the honeymoon over?

4 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Yelekreb DAFNE Graduate
Cardiff and Vale University Health Board
11 posts

Hi, need some help here. I've been diagnosed (T1 LADA) about 18 months and have had pretty good control. I think I've been in the honeymoon phase. A couple of weeks ago I was struggling to keep my BG levels up - as if my pancreas was having a laugh and pumping out extra insulin. This week, it's as if Novorapid isn't working. Post meal mountain ranges that slowly drop, with corrections. Have upped my BASEL, but still struggling to get BG under control. Have changed injection sites, even changed the Insulin pen to a new one. I suspect this is the end of the Honeymoon phase and the end of 'easy' control. The Freestyle Libre is a real help in keeping an eye on things, but does anyone have any experience/tips for this new stage I seem to be facing?

Susanf DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
29 posts

Hi, Have you spoken to your healthcare professionals to see what they suggest. Smile

Yelekreb DAFNE Graduate
Cardiff and Vale University Health Board
11 posts

Yes, the very helpful team at the local hopsital saw me quickly. Really I'm doing all the right things....which simply means applying the DAFNE principles! Pancreas still being random...why be dull.

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Have you seen this previously? During my honeymoon phase, I kept on having to regularly increase my basal insulin. The new level would last a couple of months, then I would need to increase again due to persistently high BGLs. I worked out that I was at the end of my honeymoon phase when I no longer had to do this.

Also bear in mind that some of us are affected by change of seasons and you may be the same. The amount of insulin required can change a lot as summer changes to autumn or winter to spring.