High BG (probably caused by stress issues)

3 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

alturn DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
78 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

MY BGs are currently running high (10-15), with ketones of 0.5 am, and 0.8 at lunch. I don't believe this is due to medical cause but a life-style issue. Averages over last few months were mostly in the 7.0 to 8.0 range.

If no improvement later, will consider treating as minor illness under DAFNE rules. Not got a great appetite and feeling a bit off-colour but suspect that is related to high BG. Also will raise with GP as had an appointment for another reason (think this takes priority). It seems I don't handle stress very well.

As the issue may not be resolved in a short period, has anyone any advice?

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Stress will raise BGs, and I find a couple of days before I come down with a cold, I tend to go high. Just getting over a cold now, and my BGs hit 25 last week which is very unusual for me.

Have they settled down now?

alturn DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
78 posts

Thanks Warwick - BG of 25 must have been horrendous. I had ketones of 0.4 when at 15, and also lose weight rapidly when that high which means even less soft tissue for injections. Don't want to go that high.

Highest BG since has been 11.7, last few days mostly in 7-9 range which is a little bit high but not that unusual

I've increased my Levemir to 14&14 which seems to have helped, also now use my thighs where Levemir doesn't seem to be quite so effective.

The underlying stress cause isn't a short-term issue, so expect to be up-n-down. If BG goes up again, just have to accept that may have to increase BI and/or ratios.

J