Feedback requested on DAFNE curriculum & workbook for Physical activity

5 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Peter DUAG Committee Member
University College London Hospitals (UCLH)
109 posts

A meeting has been set up to review the DAFNE curriculum & workbook for Physical activity. It was agreed that a Physical Activity sub-group be formed to meet in June 2016 to review this.

Prior to this meeting, the group have asked for graduate views on the exercise component in the current curriculum. In particular, it would be useful to know:

1. Have patients found this exercise session useful
2. Have any aspects of the advice have not worked for them
3. Are there aspects we should cover but have not

Please take this opportunity to provide your feedback so that the course can be improved, either by responding within this thread, or by e-mail to [email protected].

Please note that responses have been requested by 20th June.

Thanks.

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

Hi,

Do you have any new course material?

I did DAFNE way back in 2011 and was a full time couch potato so any exercise advice would have washed over me, I am now a keen cyclist (4st lighter too) so things have changed.

Phil

Peter DUAG Committee Member
University College London Hospitals (UCLH)
109 posts

Phil,

The only course material available at the moment is that loaded on the site (under the DAFNE Tools menu item). As is covered elsewhere there has been a delay in making the latest version available to be loaded here, but the DAFNE Chairman has promised to get that resolved soon. In the meantime, please use the available version for comment if you have nothing else. Thanks.

sjohno DAFNE Graduate
University Hospital of Derby & Burton NHS FT
37 posts

Hi Peter

I think the DAFNE curriculum & workbook for Physical activity is good as a stepping stone or a good basis of what you need to know about how to manage exercise BUT I think DAFNE needs to stress that every T1 is different and it doesn't necessarily work for everyone.

Thanks

Sarah

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

I found big problems with DAFNE in regard to exercise because despite following the rules the best I could, often I'd go high (20+BG) after a work out, then aggressively drop when I corrected. This has made doing exercise extremely intimidating. I have had to resort to outside sources to help tackle understanding this problem (I have learnt a lot from a book called "Your Diabetes Science Experiment" by Ginger Vieira for example), which DAFNE does not even try to explain. This issue has been very challenging with my DSN team because they don't like that I'm not able to stick 100% to DAFNE. They don't have anything in place to tackle exercise effect on BGs phobia too.