sweet drinks

3 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Mrs A DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust – North East Sector Hospitals
1 post

hi I'm new to carb counting, I'm aware that having fruit juice raises blood sugar level too quick and having juice alone isn't one of the Dafne principles, but ofcourse you can have it with a meal. I was wondering if the same applies for non alcoholic piña colada?

michaelj DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
45 posts

Mrs A,
Almost certaily the non alcoholc Pina Colada will contain some sort of sugar even if it's only fructose from the fruit used. I would count it in with your meal . The hard part is trying to decide how much of it is carbohydrate. Not being one who likes cocktails maybe some of our other members may have a better idea of the values.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Hi, If its a bottled cocktail it should be on the bottle, If it's not then its a bit of guess work based on volume and ingredient. You would need to be more precise on the ingredient. I wasn't aware that DAFNE specified anything about having juice alone, its not the handbooks we have. It does have a high GI but in moderation I don't see why it would be a problem. I use the reduced sugar juices and don't see why they would be a problem.