level of bi

6 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

amandab DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
11 posts

hello

I am relatively new to DAFNE and whilst I am quite small I feel like I am having to keep increasing my bi. I changed from lantus to levemir and have already put this up to 13 in morning and 14 at night and it looks like I need to increase this again.
On doing some 3am checks it appears I may have a bit of the 'dawn phenomonon'.
Does anyone else feel like they are taking quite a lot of BI in relation to the recommended amounts for height and weight.

Luggerz 10 posts

If you are having dawn phenomenon the last thing you want to do is increase your BI. Dawn phenomenon is where you blood sugar goes so low so your liver releases all the sugar it has stored up in it to stop a very bad hypo. I’m no pro so check it with a DSN or doctor.

Marc

Karl DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
83 posts

Thats not my understanding of it and I guess this has been ruled out by the 3am checks! The dawn phenomenon is due to , as I understand it, hormones released during the night.

amandab DAFNE Graduate
11 posts

Thanks for your reply. I've been doing some research and it looks like when I changed to levemir other people have suggested you need more levemir than lantus.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

to echo Karl's comment, Dawn Phenomenon is where your body releases hormones to prepare your body for waking up in the morning. This causes a rise in BG that is more pronounced in some people and can often be mistaken for the 'rebound' effect from a hypo.
With regard to the amount of Levimir required, I would not worry about 'recommended amounts'. Every person is different and can even vary their requirements over a period of time, any kind of 'recommended amount' is based on generalised statistics NOT individual requirements. The best option is to keep following DAFNE rules and find the correct level for you, if you are worried about this talk to your DAFNE educator. I'm sure they will be more than happy to advise you.
I'm struggling with a similiar problem at the moment and I'm not sure if its BI or Dawn Phenomenon, the only sure way to find out is adjustment and testing.

amandab DAFNE Graduate
11 posts

Thanks for your reply. I have been increasing all week and fingers crossed the bg levels are beginning to come down. I do feel levemir does keep my bg levels more steady. Before if I had a couple of glasses of wine I would always feel like I had to eat loads. Doing my checks during the night shows now that I donkt need to do this so much.