My NHS Trust does not offer DAFNE

3 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

paulfromskeg... 1 post

Hi,

I was recently (December 2015) Diagnosed Type 1, and have had great support from the hospital and DSN. I have recently had a 3 hour introduction to carb counting which I found useful, but I have been told that my NHS trust does not offer DAFNE. As NICE seem to recommend DAFNE for all T1 diabetics, do I have the right to have them refer me to a neighbouring trust so that I can attend the course - Obviously travel and accommodation will be at my own expense, but I will cover that...

Any advice would be appreciated as I understand that this course will benefit me going forward.

Many thanks

Paul

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

Find your nearest DAFNE course

Hope this helps spread some light on possibilities if your team can arrange a referral at all. Sad I hope they can if they can't arrange to be a centre themselves.

Best wishes!

Peter DUAG Committee Member
University College London Hospitals (UCLH)
109 posts

Paul,
The latest NICE guidelines for Type 1 Diabetes clearly state the need for Structured Education, with DAFNE specifically mentioned as an example of the type of course which should be offered:

Offer all adults with type 1 diabetes a structured education programme of proven benefit, for example the DAFNE (dose-adjustment for normal eating) programme. Offer this programme 6–12 months after diagnosis.

Full details of the guidance can be found here: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng17/chapter/1-Recommendations#education-and-information-2

I'd suggest that you take this to both your GP (as they hold the funds through the CCG) and your hospital team and ask both of them how they are going to meet the NICE guidance in your case. The other possibility is to make a Freedom of information request to the CCG asking how they intend to meet the new NICE guidance. The DAFNE Graduate Group. of which I am chairman, has been using this approach in cases where a DAFNE Center is threatening to withdraw. The questions could be used with your CCG, and they are obliged to provide answers within 20 working days. The direct approach to the providers will probably be quicker, but let me know if you'd like a copy of the questionnaire and details of how to make a FOI request.

Good luck.
Peter