Insulin pump problems

6 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

franklin123 DAFNE Graduate
Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust
5 posts

Hi all. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. I have had the animas vibe pump for 6 weeks now. In the last week my cannula has become dislodged twice resulting in obvious highs. Was only aware of problem when could smell insulin very strong. I am using the cannula device .inset 30.
Many thanks for any feedback.

AMcD DAFNE Graduate
University College Hospital, Galway
38 posts

Hi franklin. I am using a pump for 11 months. I use a medtronic minimed device so it's not the same pump or cannula components. However, I had a similar experience using the first cannula device that I started on which I think was called a quickset unit. After having the same problem as yourself on more than one occasion i changed cannula set to a minimed mio and it hasn't happened since. I'm not sure about your pump and the options for alternative cannulas? There are normally different cannula devices available as we all have different shapes and lifestyles. I would suggest contacting your health care team at the hospital and explain the problem if it is a recurring issue rather than a one off.... you might let us know how you get on? Hope this helps... Andy

5 posts

Thanks for your reply andy. I am going to have a word with the dsn. It's happened again today!!! Will keep you posted.

AMcD DAFNE Graduate
University College Hospital, Galway
38 posts

Franklin. .. I should have mentioned that the cannula patch has better adhesion in areas of the body with the least hair... may or may not be a factor. Andy

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

Hi Franklin...I also have an Animas Vibe (have had for over 4 years). I think you ought to try out the various cannula options available. I tried most and have settled on Unomedical Animas 17mm long cannula and with 60 cm of tubing from pump to "comfort set". I found the sets you insert yourself to be more reliable than the ones that are designed for those who are needle phobic. I can not find a number that coincides with your 30. My ref: 100-006-51.

I also found that placing the set above the waist line to the right or left of the belly button means that they are dislodged less frequently. I still lose one every couple of months though. The Animas "go-to person" here suggested I tape the tubing about 5cm from the set so that if it is pulled out by catching the tubing then the tape acts as a brake. I decided it was not worth it as you had to take the tape off every time you had a shower or took the pump off for any reason. As Andrew says it may be exacerbated by hair.

Good luck. Helen

5 posts

Thanks to u both ..helen and Andrew for your advice. Very useful. Regards.