Freestyle Libre/ Australia

4 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

I have recently received a notification that these will shortly be available in Australia.

Abbott received "approval from TGA (for Freestyle Libre) to be sold in the Australian market. It is currently unclear as to whether it will be offered for a subsidy under the NDSS."

Any ideas re cost?

Helen

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

Helen,

In the UK its £50 + VAT (but we don't pay for that on medical items) for a single 14 day sensor.

Current conversion is 1 to 1.90 so I'm guessing Abbot will round it off about $100?

Let us know how much it is. If you guys get it considerably cheaper, might be worth the extra carriage.

Phil

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

Thanks Phil,
A decent coffee is about $AUD 4 so it looks like the cost of two coffees a day! That's a perspective!

I will keep you informed but I am assuming we will buy it under NDSS (National Diabetes Subsidy Scheme). These supplies are heavily subsidised to encourage us to use them.

Will keep you informed. Helen

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

It was announced a couple of days ago Helen. $95 per sensor and $95 for the reader - https://www.freestylelibre.com.au/all-products Good reviews from those that have tried it. For me, Dexcom G4 still works out cheaper so I will stick to that.