Levemir

7 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

DianeW DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
115 posts

Would be interested to hear others experiences of it, and particularly going from Lantus to Levemir. I changed from Lantus to Levemir on Monday, giving it a trial for a month to see if control better. I took Lantus before breakfast and before bed. I am doing that with Levemir. For the first time in ages this morning my BG actually went DOWN between 6.30 and 8.30 with no insulin or food, albeit only from 9.5 to 7.9 (I have dawn phenomenon) and it is only one result, but when you've been waking up with 13-15 that is a real boost, so hoping the positive trend continues!

sjohno DAFNE Graduate
University Hospital of Derby & Burton NHS FT
37 posts

Hi DianeW

I started with Lantus in November 2009, a year later after listening to my body I switched to Levemir. It was the best thing I ever did! lol lol. But I do exercise alot as well and found Levemir was a brilliant BI for this.
On exercise days I take 13 units once a day and 14 units non execise days, I'm lucky that I don't have to split my dose. My latest Hb1Ac in September 2015 was 6.6%.

I like Levemir. Very Happy

Good luck with your Levemir.

DianeW DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
115 posts

Thanks sjohno. Wow that is an excellent HbA1c. I've noticed my bedtime readings have been really good. Then this morning, from being 7.9 yesterday I was 14 this morning! I really don't know if it is dawn p or I went hypo in the night and didn't know! I will persevere!

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Upon starting DAFNE I was put on Lantus but almost immediately it was clear it wasn't lasting 24 hours, so went on Levemir.........

Didn't look back from Levemir until the pump came along......

its much more flexible for things like exercise, alcohol and illness, generally anyway, there are always exceptions.... Very Happy

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

I'm currently on Lantus, but was on Levemir for 15 months. It is my favourite basal insulin because as has been noted by other members, it clears the body after about 12 hours so is really useful for exercising. Making changes with Lantus can take 3 days before they really show up, whereas changes to my Levemir showed up almost immediately.

Unfortunately I developed an allergic reaction to Levemir with painful welts that lasted for about a week, so I've switched back to Lantus. f I hadn't had the allergic reaction, I'd still be on Levemir though.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

There is another all day, super long lasting basal out there............cant recall its name...........

anyone tried?

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Not tried. Apparently it is called Novo Nordisk’s Tresiba (insulin degludec). I'm more looking for something similar to Levemir that doesn't cause me an allergy and I would never remember to take it every second day. I just know I would inject it on consecutive days or forget for three days and get really friendly with the ambulance officers :-)