Injections and prescriptions

7 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

derekh1965 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lothian
90 posts

Hi, Hope everyone is well. I wanted to ask about needles and injecting. I am being told by my GP I am ordering too many needles.
I order needles on 19th November and then again on the 30th December as it was close to the weekend, and I got a phone cal from the GP asking me why I needed more needles so soon. I got them, but ordered more on 27th January and never received them. If you are to use a new needle for every injection that is upto 9 injections a day. 2 BI, 4 meals, Breakfast,Lunch,Dinner and supper and 3 - 4 snacks. Snacks are nescafe sachets of latte which have between 10 and 15 g carbs each.
Am I using too many needles.
They also said I was testing too often. I test before I have carbs.
Thanks for reading.
Kind regards
Derek

NHS Lothian
90 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Thought I would add my diary to this post

Popey81 DAFNE Graduate
Royal Glamorgan Hospital Diabetes Centre
5 posts

If you need to inject then you need to inject. Not really sure how they can say your using to many needles. Maybe try having your sachets half hour after a meal that way you could inject for a snack the same time as you inject for a meal?? Save on a few needles that way but not really sure why GPs are moaning about it.
As for testing every time you dont need too. Test the 4 times a day. But for snacks just cover the CP's dont worry about testing.
I try to keep my snacks with meals. Otherwise you will nearly always get a high BG reading. 2.5 hours after any meal i eat shows high BG readings. Then 4-5 hours they are back to normal. Snacking between will keep them high and you will never get a true reading.
GP's dont like spending money so maybe thats why they moaning about to many needles??

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

It's happening here in Australia too. T1Ds are getting letters if they order more than a certain number of needles. They then need to produce a letter from their GP stating that they require them. Given that reused needles become blunt very quickly which causes brusing and can affect the dose injected, it does seem ridiculous.

Still, better than New Zealand where needles have to be bought with no subsidy :-(

Peter DUAG Committee Member
University College London Hospitals (UCLH)
109 posts

I'd suggest your first option is booking an appointment with your GP and use it to show your diary as above to demonstrate the number of needles you're using. Once you've explained the situation then hopefully the GP will be more responsive to your needs.

If that fails then try and get support from the DSN and/or consultant at your DAFNE centre.

Third (and last option) would be to either change GP or consider switching you snacks to lower CPs which don't require extra QA. Anything up to 1CP falls into that category.

torana DAFNE Graduate
Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW
53 posts

I really believed when reading about diabetics scrounging for needles for their next shot was a story for last century. In Australia, it was realised after many years the inequities of diabetics having to pay for needles and sharps bins whilst others in the community would be handed out these items for free. In fact, many diabetics were known to frequent clinics where needles and disposal containers were handed out to others with medical requirements such as HIV or methadone. What a sad state of affairs and Diabetes Australia fought a hard battle to give diabetics needles and strips under a national scheme at little or no cost. It is a basic right for diabetics to have needles and not have to beg to a doctor for extra supplies!

NHS Lothian
90 posts

Hi
Thanks for all your replies. Further to my not receiving a prescription I ordered Icontacted my GP through askmygp and explained the amounmt of daily injections I use and why. i received a phone call from my GP to tell me that due to my eplanation she was going to order me my needls and add extra.
Received my needles yesterday, 5 boxes!!
They should last a while.
Derek