Can anyone please help?

10 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

LittlePanda
University Hospital of Derby & Burton NHS FT
6 posts

I would be really greatful if anyone could help. I gave birth to my daughter 6 months ago and during my pregnancy my lood glucose levels were brilliant until my 8 month where they believed i was having hypos during the night and was waking with blood glucose levels of 15+ This is still happening now and i am being pushed from one doctor to another each telling me different things. My blood glucose levels during the day are a little high but i am most concerened about the morning high.

I visited my diabetic docotor today and he has put me on metformin because i am slightly over weight, which i know will affect my diabetes but i have always been this weight and not had a problem before. I dont particulaly want to start this extra medication if it is not completely necessary.

I have moved away from the area where i learnt dafne and in this city they do not teach it so i have no one to turn to.

I still believe that i may be going hypo during the night does anyone think it would be worth staying up for a whole night and testing (i cant set an alarm because it will wake my baby)? I just dont know what to do anymore

Thanks in advance if anyone replies =]

Karl DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
83 posts

Could advise more if you filled the rest in - but testing at 3:00 will have to be done (alarm on a mobile phone and headphones ?) - you look at been a bit low last thing at night most days dafne is 6.5-8 but need the dashes filling in - if all else fails 'MY' next step would be get the bedtime readings up a little -

Karl DAFNE Graduate
83 posts

http://dafneonline.co.uk/hbook_topics/36 may help - possibly adjust BI

LittlePanda
6 posts

Thanks, i will try get my BG up a bit before bed. If that fails, i will sleep on th sofa tomorrow so alarm doesnt wake the baby. Do you think i should take the metformin or keep adjusting?

DavidJ DAFNE Graduate
Tameside and Glossop Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
23 posts

Hi,
I take Metformin and find that my blood glucose rises significantly if I miss a dose. I've spoken with other diabetics who say that it's a waste of time and does nothing for them. Metformin might help you, but the only way to find out if it helps or not is to try it. Karl is right though, there are too many gaps in the diary to make an informed suggestion. Keep the faith, it'll be worth it in the end.
Dave

Karl DAFNE Graduate
83 posts

I personal take Metformin (Metfartin) and agree with David - miss a dose (as we all do) and I can see the difference

LittlePanda
6 posts

Does it bring all the BG down or just the one after you take it?

DavidJ DAFNE Graduate
Tameside and Glossop Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
23 posts

When I miss my Metformin it can take upto 24 hours to get everything back on track again. Usually I end up correcting with QA insulin for 2 or 3 meals or I go from above target to below target and then above again. I have the Metformin twice / day, once at breakfast and once at dinner.
Dave

Kentbabe DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
10 posts

hiya i agree with what you are saying about nite time hypos. I have a similar problem in that i can be ok before bed and be sky high in the morning. Ive tried 3am readings and have found that i am really hight (ie 20) which is scary. Are you able to adgust ur nite time ingections? Im still fiddling around with mine.

LittlePanda
6 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

I've tried my Lantus between 25 and 55 and it didnt make any difference. Ive also tried the evening meal ratio 1:1 up to 2.5:1 which also didnt make much difference which is why im now back down to 25 Lantus units and 2.5:1 ration at evening meal now with 500mg of Metformin. I will test 3.00am bg tonight and if i am going hypo im not sure if to reduce evening meal ration (I eat fairly last, at least after 8pm) or my lantus. I think the metformin has had an effect as ive had a few lows today, so i think im also going to have to fiddle with day time ratio's if it continues.

These are my results for today