RESIDUAL INSULIN GENAREATION?

4 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

alanG DAFNE Graduate
The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust
11 posts

I am taking very little insulin. I have 2 units of BG in the am, and 10 units of BG in the evening. I am only taking QA insulin if I have a meal of greater than 5 carb units, and then at a ratio of 0.5 to 1.
I only use the insulin I do use since the health professionals put the fear of god into me. My short-term blood glucose is always in single figures, and never more than 8.0. My long -term level is 42, and has been at that level since I was first tested after diagnosis some 4 years ago.
I now have a detailed example, which is not untypical of my experience.
My morning level was 6.3, and I had a cracker and low fat cottage cheese for breakfast (about 0.5 carbs). I took 2 units of BI. We then walked to the shops, about 2.5 miles, and I could not resist a SUBWAY and coffee (about 4 carb units). I did not take any QA, as experience says I will be ok. We then walked home in 45 mins. (steady). In the afternoon, I had 20 mins. on the exercise bike, and I tested my blood sugar at 4.8. I had a snack oif tortillas to keep me going (1 carb unit)
For our evening meal we had roast duck with roast potatoes and mixed veg., and as a treat we tried my wife's home made Christmas cake, which is soaked in booze, with a lump of Wensleydale cheese. Again. I did not take any QA insulin.
About 8.30pm I had another 20 mins. on the exercise bike, and when I tested after my blood sugar was 5.4.
I find it difficult to believe that 2 units of BG and modest exercise can be responsible for dissipating over 7 units of carb.
Anyone got any thoughts.

Yelekreb DAFNE Graduate
Cardiff and Vale University Health Board
11 posts

I've had something similar, except it seems I've become much more insulin sensitive, so have had to reduce my ratios - kinda weird as I end up using 1U to 6 CP at breakfast and then about 4u to 6cp by the evening. What causes the changes during the day? I asked at my last appointment and was told - it's hard to understand. Any ideas?

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

alanG
You may have significant natural insulin production remaining at this time. Have you been diagnosed as Type 1 long?

Yelekreb
We are all different. Our physiologies are all very different.
Personally, I need to use ratios of 2:1 at breakfast, 2.5:1 at lunch and back to 2:1 at dinner. If I ever eat more than 10 CPs at dinner I need 2.2:1.
In the morning, many type 1s need higher ratios than during the day as their insulin uptake is hindered by Adrenaline and other hormones released naturally into the bloodstream used to wake us up, thus
you could think of it as Adrenaline causes insulin resistance. It's hard to understand. You'll get a handle on it with experience. I've got over 36 years...and still haven't cracked it! Embarassed
Regards
Garry

Yelekreb DAFNE Graduate
Cardiff and Vale University Health Board
11 posts

Thanks for that, I've been diagnosed just over 13 months (aged 47!) as a T1, guess I still have residual function, thats is probably preserved by insulin jabs. I have a (very modest) dawn phenomena impact, but as you say most T1s have higher ratios in the morning - guess I'm just obtuse!

T1 Diabetes is endlessly fascinating and challenging at the same time. DAFNE was a great help, however good BS control is both an art and a science I find!