Diagnosed just over a year ago

7 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Paul Keenan DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
3 posts

Hello my name is Paul. I was diagnosed in September 2014. I have been struggling to get my head around this illness and I suppose I'm looking to chat with people who have had similar experiences/

Muncle DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals, Leicester
9 posts

Hi Paul, Welcome to the forum Smile

It is a lot to try and get your head around but it does get easier especially after you have done the DAFNE course which I'm assuming you'll be invited to one in the near future and it will give you hope but above all it'll give you control Wink

I've been diagnosed 3 years now and the first year was a bit weird as I had the honeymoon period for a while where my numbers were perfect and I thought "This is easy" then all of a sudden my numbers were all over the place and at that point I realised how difficult it was going to be Sad Now I'm 3 years into diagnoses I realise that my numbers may not be perfect for the whole day but I have the ability to adjust so if I wake up on a 9 or 10 I don't get down about it as there is nothing I can do about my numbers when I'm asleep so I just correct and try to keep my numbers good right up to bed time Very Happy

Just remember you're not alone out there and you have a forum full of people to ask questions and discuss things Wink

PS As soon as you get the opportunity to go on the DAFNE course then do it, it will seriously change your life and your outlook!

Cheers

Mick

Susanf DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
29 posts

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum. I have Diabetes for 21 years now and use an insulin pump. Feel free to ask any questions.

K Rgds,

S

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

Welcome to the forum Paul Smile
We are all here to help DAFNE graduates and others, particularly with Type 1 if we are able.
Lots of useful help out here. Ask away.
Regards
Garry

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

Meant to ask Paul.
Were you advised on your DAFNE course about this forum or was it your own research?
Regards
Garry

NHS Lanarkshire
3 posts

Garry said:
Meant to ask Paul.
Were you advised on your DAFNE course about this forum or was it your own research?
Regards
Garry

Hi Garry I was invited to the DAFNE course in October. I found out about the forum when I registered for DAFNE online. I thought the course really helped and I have just attended my 6 week review. I'm still struggling at night. I seem to be going through the honeymoon period at the moment. Its reassuring to be able to chat with other diabetics. So thanks for the reply to my original message.

NHS Lanarkshire
3 posts

Susanf said:
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum. I have Diabetes for 21 years now and use an insulin pump. Feel free to ask any questions.

K Rgds,

Very Happy Thanks Susan its reassuring to be able to chat with other diabetics and pick their brain on issues that may arise.
S