Levemir

4 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Ellen DAFNE Graduate
Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
10 posts

Hello

Does anyone find that they have to change their Levemir dose about every month? A certain amount in the morning and evening seem to hold me level for so long but after a month or so I'm raising overnight.

Thanks
Ellen

alturn DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
78 posts

I keep changing mine as well, and until recently was always upwards.

Few months ago I was on 14/11 then DSN suggested balancing a bit more, and ended up at 14/14 and considering 15/15. In the last few weeks reduced to 10/10 and may have to reduce further. About the start of reduction, I stopped using my thighs (use stomach for Novarapid) and use buttocks, using areas not used before and which are softer. I expect to keep changing as might depend on site, activity, stress, temperature, mood etc - or it's just unpredictable. And I also reduced by DINNR ratio from 3:1 to 2:1 - I would like to know why (even 3:1 seemed insufficient at times)

Think you just have to accept that you need to change. Perhaps your insulin sensitivity is changing especially if relatively recently diagnosed.

Hope this helps,
J

Ellen DAFNE Graduate
Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
10 posts

Thanks for your rely, At least I'm not the only one I thought maybe levemir wasn't working for me and have considered changing back to lantus which I was on when I was first diagnosed about 6 years ago, but it used to sting so they changed me.

Maybe it will keep changing until I have got it right or thinking about it I start university on Monday and will have to drive from Northampton to Leicester so maybe I am stressed about that even though I don't feel like I am. I also stopped doing my thighs for a while and went to buttock and have gone back to thighs again so it could also be this I suppose. I have also had to change my breakfast ratio for 2;1 to 3:1 which I find strange maybe once the levemir is right this might change again.

Ive rang the DSN as well so hopefully they might be able to help as well.

Thanks
Ellen

alturn DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
78 posts

You've got a lot going on now but try to be consistent in meals etc will help. And just because you don't feel stressed doesn't mean you aren't (even a little bit).

It's also possible you are still adjusting to Levemir. You need to take what is required to get best control, and this may take some time and continuous monitor and change.

J