Bruising on injection sites

4 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

mllegarf
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
1 post

Hi all,

Have been T1 since Jan 2008, and am a long-time 'lurker' in the forums but this is my first post.

I have a history of bruising on my injection sites (stomach and upper thighs). I am quite clumsy, and think I bruise quite easily, but these are definitely injection-related. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this, and are there ways of minimising this? Obviously we have to inject ourselves several times a day, and I want to make sure I'm not damaging my body permanently and that this isn't a sign of a more sinister underlying condition.

Thanks in advance for taking this post seriously - would welcome any responses.

alturn DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
78 posts

Welcome to the forums, no harm in being a lurker especially if you can improve your control - we don't all need to contribute actively to appreciate other peoples' contribution.

It might depend on how what you are injecting into, and needle length - if its softer (stomach probably softer than thighs) then I think less chance of bruising - smaller needles may lead to less bruising, especially if you are slim.

I sometimes bruise on stomach (less often now) but not enough to be a problem but have reduced to 4mm needles for some time.

But I've currently stopped using my thighs as they were bruising (and getting lumps). I am now using my buttocks (for BI, stomach for QA) and reduced my BI. But more difficult to reach. This was after seeing DSN.

If you are clumsy, could you ask your DSN (or raise at DAFNE review - I doubt if you are unique) to review your technique?. If you can stay calm, focused and consistent then that might help to identify what causes bruises. And are you spreading your injections around stomach and thighs to use the maximum area (I found DSN are good at this - they see things from a different view)?

Hope this helps.

Emma79 DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
6 posts

I also bruise especially on my stomach and thighs. I have been type 1 for 22 years and more than not I am bruising thinking "what am I doing wrong" I have reduced needle size, inject at 90 degree angle, pinched fat,rotate sites..... still am left bruised. Am thinking maybe I need a smaller needle now I have lost a stone and half in weight?

alturn DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
78 posts

I was put onto 4mm needles (down from 8 then 6) because at that time I had almost no fat, BMI was about 16, 4mm reduced bruising (which wasn't bad at the time). Don't know if that's the smallest needle.

Would a pump be suitable for you? Might be worth discussing/review the needles/pumps/injection technique issue with your DSN Question