High blood sugars

6 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Ellen DAFNE Graduate
Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
10 posts

Hello

For the past 4/5 days I've had high blood sugars, have managed to get them down to 8 and then th went straight back up again, I have rang the diabetic nurses but still waiting on a phone call back and just wondered if any of you could help. I have changed all my insulin cartridges and I went to a festival at he weekend so thought it might be that they had gone off but I'm still having problems. I have upped my novorapid doses with all meals by 30% and will try upping my levimir tonight but the problem is none of my correction doses are working for some reason has any one else experienced this?

Thanks
Ellen

alturn DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
78 posts

Could you picked up an infection of some sort? May be worth checking for ketones if "high" (I would use the DAFNE definition for this, but I think of anything over 10 as high, don't know what you regard as high).

If "high" it can be more difficult to get BGs down so correction ratios and BI may need to changed.

Hope this helps.
J

Ellen DAFNE Graduate
10 posts

Hi

I've checked for ketones and haven't had any even when I've been 18 or over. They have been over 10 for days now hopefully the nurses will get back to me soon and thank you.

Ellen

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Sometime random things can happen like this. I suggest upping your basal insulin as per the DAFNE guidelines - 10% increase and wait for three days, and keep trying to correct any highs with QA as you have been doing. Sometimes our bodies can just become more insulin resistant, and larger doses of insulin are required than previously.

It may also be that one of your insulins has stopped working. Levemir worked brilliantly for me for over a year, but I am coming off it in the next few weeks as I've had to increase my doses dramatically recently and also I now get pain and swelling at each injection site which lasts about a week.

I find when I stop exercising, my insulin sensitivity decreases. I also tend to need more insulin during colder months than summer.

alturn DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
78 posts

Have you checked your injection sites? As you are high, may be worth changing if possible as insulin sensitivity may change (I was using my thighs for Levemir and then switched to bottom to give thighs a rest. But other factors may be at work e.g. temperature/exercise).

Or could you still be on an emotional "high" from the festival, or as Warwick mentioned, changed activity?

Should have put this in my original post but can't think of more than thing at one time - senior moments Question

Ellen DAFNE Graduate
10 posts

I upped my levemir by 1 unit last night and things seemed to have settled down and sugar levels stayed level all night Smile

thanks for all your help
Ellen