highs

4 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

ruthhiggins DAFNE Graduate
St Luke's General Hospital, Carlow-Kilkenny
3 posts

I am a new graduate and only doing dafne 4 weeks. the first 3 weeks were great and I couldnt believe how great dafne was. I was coming in between 4 and 7 and the odd high was corrected easily. For the last 3 days my bloods are high 14's 10's etc and I cant explain them, there was a meal were I ate out and guessed the cp but i wouldnt have been to far out correction worked a little but now as much as it was working initially. I would have came down by 2-3 with 1unit of qa before but now it might just come down 1 . the only thing thats changed is i have been snacking more so between meals I am having cp's but am taking my 1:1 ratio for them. previously I snacked on choc and it didnt affect my next blood. I dont know whats going on. could my ratio randomly need changing when 4 days ago it worked perfectly. Im not sick but have put up a few pound which I needed. Can anyone help, feeling disappointed

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Hello Ruth. There are lots of things that can change how much insulin you need. Things like stress, illness, menstrual cycle, lack of exercise can all contribute to higher BGLs. I personally find that when I snack more, I actually need to increase my basal. It seems that my body releases more glucose into the blood stream overnight when I have been snacking the previous days. When I drop the snacking, I need to reduce my basal insulin to avoid hypos.

I'd suggest keeping an eye on this, and if need be, increasing your basal insulin slightly. If your BGLs are always higher than normal, then a basal insulin increase is indicated (remember, just 10% change and wait for three days before further increases). If it is only after meals that your BGLs are higher than normal, then you may need to increase your QA ratio before the problematic meals.

Feel free to record your diary on this website and share with this forum so we can get a bit more detail of what is happening.

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

Welcome Smile ruthhiggins.
Lots of stuff to learn about your body and it's insulin demands. You will need more insulin as your body weight has increased.
Take it easy on yourself and try to note all of the significant changes that you make in your diary. It will help you understand what is happening.
Regards
Garry

ruthhiggins DAFNE Graduate
St Luke's General Hospital, Carlow-Kilkenny
3 posts

Thanks Warick and Gary, Ive been working last few days so only replying now though I read your message a few days ago and increased my morning lantus from 10 to 12. I cant believe it worked!!! I used to take 30 units before dafne now I take 20 in total . I used to take big amounts of insulin when I saw highs and bad habits made me think that differences of 1-2 units done nothing. the 2 units extra def worked, i had not been snacking for the first 3 weeks as I was trying to know if my ratio was correct. Id love to record my diary and hoping to get the time soon !!! I am also ''taking it easy on myself'' too as when I first saw highs I thought I should just give up hope of having good bloods.