Pregnancy

3 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

KarinaC DAFNE Graduate
Northern Health and Social Care Trust, Antrim Hospital
1 post

Im a type 1 diabetic (diagnosed in 1995) i did the dafne course in march an its been working great. My hbaic has come down from 10.9 to 9.2 in the past few months which is really great for me personally. Ive also got retinopathy so i need to reduce my hba1c very slowly. I have just found out im pregnant. We were planning for this and attending the pre preg clinic but obviously i wanted to be down alot further than this before it happened.although im extremely excited im also quite scared an nervous. Any advice would be appreciated Smile

Susanf DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
29 posts

Hi KarinaC,

Firstly congrats Very Happy My HbA1c was around 9.2 when I got pregnant with my daughter. With the help of my diabetes team that was down to 5.2 within a month or so. You might need to reduce it slower than this. In Ireland we attend the consultant every 2 weeks and they did a fructosamine test. Like you I was very apprehensive as my HbA1c was certainly not ideal when I got pregnant. The management of my diabetes wasnt easy but SOOOO worth all the effort. I had a beautiful baby girl who is now 7.

Hope this helps

Susan

Amanda Wilby
Befordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
2 posts

Hello I've been type one for 35 years and had been type 1for 13 years when I fell pregnant with my first daughter. I was told them that any babies in had may be big but both my daughters were under 8lbs. I had near perfect pregnancies and deliveries and I'm not just saying that to reassure you. I heard many scary stories about diabetes and pregnancy but I remained positive tried very hard to keep stable blood sugar but didn't always succeed
My daughters are now 22 and 19. The eldest is in her 4th year university training to be a veterinary surgeon and my youngest a hairdresser just about to join a cruise ship to work around the world. They are both fit healthy and intelligent competent individuals. One warning - if you breast feed have snacks - it uses so much energy and I often found myself hypo until I became used to it. You will be absolutely fine. Congratulations. How very exciting x