Sick day rule help?

4 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Jodie_Ennifer2 DAFNE Graduate
Essex Partnership University NHS FT (St Margaret’s Hospital)
1 post

Hey guys I just wanted to know what people would do earlier I had a blood glucose of 14.8 and ++ ketones I've been sick with a cold for the last week. I followed the flow chart in the hand book and on my first two hour check my blood glucose had come down to 8.1 but I stil had + ketones I had no reference for what to do in this situation so I took my next dose of TDD, would others have done the same

Thanks Jodie x

Hightower DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
8 posts

Hi Jodie.....Hope you are feeling better at this stage. When you say ++ what does that mean in figures eg 2.3, 3.5 etc?

AMcD DAFNE Graduate
University College Hospital, Galway
38 posts

My thoughts are that with a BG of 8.1 the ketones would become negative as long as your next QA dose coped with the food carbs and your next BM checks were ok. If your next BM was high then I would recheck for ketones and follow the instructions in the dafne book. As per the last post it would be useful to use a ketone monitor which gives actual figures rather than the ++ type levels on a urine stick. The dafne guidance works on actual ketone values such as 2.6 etc . You should be able to pick up a ketone monitor at the clinic. They are very very useful when sick. Hope your geeling better now.

Hope this helps. Andy

Kahanamoku DAFNE Graduate
Monash Health Community, Victoria
8 posts

Ketones can be there when you are within range, heck, ketones can be there even if you are staying in perfect range for weeks (I did this by going carb free for a week)... ketones are a biproduct of using either stored or consumed fat as your primary source of energy (calories/kilojoule) rather than carbohydrate. if you are consuming enough carbohydrate to cover your energy requirements, it may take a few hours or a day or so before all ketones disappear.