Triathlon Event

2 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

adamrea DAFNE Graduate
Croydon NHS
3 posts

Evening all

I was just curious regarding the swim section of the event. During the running and cycling I have a vest/belt for glucose gel though for the swim what do I do in terms of carrying these bits???

This is my first event of this type and am thinking to start with slightly higher levels for the event as I find swimming has the biggest drop on my levels.is this correct?

Any advice would be great.

Many thanks

Adam ,27,London

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Hi Adam,

I carry a small pack of jelly beans in my swim cap. Other triathletes I know have carried gels in their wet suit sleeve. I've not yet had a hypo during the swim leg of an event, so I don't know how successful either of these are, but I generally never notice the JBs in the swim cap. You might want to get one of the support staff to assist you in opening whatever you use. Wet hands aren't particularly conducive to opening packets of jelly beans or gels. :-)

I tend to start high >8 and usually finish in the fives. It does depend on the distance though. I do half ironman events so 2 km swims, but if you are doing shorter events, then you may not need to be so high. Trial and error during training is generally the best way.

All the best with it. It is an addictive sport.
Warwick.