Morning BG help!

10 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Chris Salter DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
8 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Hi all, generally happy with my results except for my before breakfast BG. I have tried increasing my night time BI to try and bring my morning results down but have not had any luck. I'm hoping that an outsiders perspective may help, as I have no idea what to do next.... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Hello Chris,

I suggest setting your alarm for 3 am and doing a test then. It could be dawn phenomenon. The 3 an test would help confirm whether it is or not.

AMcD DAFNE Graduate
University College Hospital, Galway
38 posts

Agreed. In order to cjeck ypur BI dose I suugest that you take a meal in the early evening using your qa insulin. Dont snack in between. The QA insulin should be out of your system in 5 hours post injection. If you check your BG then and record the result the retest your BG again in the morning your BG should be about the same by morning or within 1.5 mmol per L. This is the recommended way to check if your background insulin is correct. If you can test at 3 am all the better. your BG should hold constant through the night.

8 posts

Thanks guys, I should have thought of this.... Will try this tonight!

8 posts

Hi guys, so 3 am BG was a tiny bit low at 5.5 mmol which lead to a wake up BG of 4.5 mmol...... I'm beginning to wonder if I'm doing too much BI before bed??? What are your thoughts on reducing down by increments of 2 units followed by another 3 am BG check???

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Hi Chris,

I'm a bit confused. The original issue was that your morning BGs were high. Have they gone low now? If they are normal at 3 am and high in the morning then that will be Dawn Phenomenon.

To be honest, if my BGs are 5.5 at 3 am and 4.5 when I wake at a normal hour then I am delighted. I wouldn't change that. If this was a once-off though and they are usually high then another 3 am check would be a good idea.

AMcD DAFNE Graduate
University College Hospital, Galway
38 posts

Thanks. I would agree with the last post. if the results through the night are consistent and holding at the same level then to me that shows that your BI is correct. If you feel that your bed timeBG is too low then reduce your QA meal before bed so that your night time BM is on target. If you are holding your BG through the night then reducing the BI rate would not be the answer in my view. Establish a pattern though before changing too much and only change one thing at a time. I would also be happy with your BG levels reported.

8 posts

Thanks guys, this was unusual for me to wake up this normal..... Usually wake up between 9mmol and 13mmol although due to work I do sometimes eat unusual times for tea.... I'll see about another 3am BG tonight and have another look to see if this was an anomaly.

Damian Powell DAFNE Graduate
Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust
2 posts

How did you get on, Chris?

8 posts

Hi Damian,

I have increased evening BI from 23 to 24 and changed morning BI from 10 to 12.... Generally seems to be working, although still a few inconsistencies when I eat tea late after work, but not much I can do about that I don't think Rolling Eyes