high bm can't get under control

6 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Morgiee DAFNE Graduate
South of Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
4 posts

Hi over the past two weeks now I've had too many high bm mainly on a morning and night but now during the day too. Prior to two weeks ago bm were under control and my latest hba1c is 7.2 I'm considering changing my ratio to 2:1 however the last time I did that I was running low as I was taking more insulin than I normally would. Today I had a bm if 8.6 before exercise and was 11.7 afterwards! I have a new Meyer as well. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Vickyp DAFNE Graduate
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
137 posts

If you share your diary it will be easier for us to see trends and maybe make suggestions. Remember exercise can put bm up due to the adrenaline.
What are your current ratios? Are the highs before meals or after etc...your diary should show all this x

Morgiee DAFNE Graduate
4 posts

Thanks for your reply I will how do I upload it to this thread? I'm on a mobile. Its mixed it started on mornings and just before bed now its happening nearly every bm. Thanks

Vickyp DAFNE Graduate
137 posts

At the bottom of the post reply box there are a couple of boxes for date range of diary to include

Morgiee DAFNE Graduate
4 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Their you go thanks

Vickyp DAFNE Graduate
137 posts

Have you tested your basal rate?
Also, If I remember correctly a high on waking could be a sign if hypo through the night, may be worth doing some 3am tests.

I would do some basal testing over about 3-4 days to see if that is a cause of the highs and if not then would only increase ratio by 0.5...so a 1.5:1 ratio.

You may also need different ratios for throughout day, but again these would need individual testing. Remember only to change one thing at a time and leave for a few days to check for patterns, it also takes a good few days for lantus changes to show.