What is the most accurate meter?

6 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

MarkM DAFNE Graduate
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust
2 posts

Hello,

Does anyone know which is the most accurate meter? I have an UltraEasy and two tests seconds apart can vary significantly.

Mark

NiVZ DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
82 posts

Hello,

I've heard that meters can be as much as 10-20% inaccurate. Not sure what the most accurate meter is though.

NiVZ

Anil DAFNE Graduate
39 posts

Hi,
Yes i agree with the 10-20%.
I have a freestyle Lite, and have recently obtained a Accu-Check Mobile.
I pricked my finger and used the same blood on each machine.
At this time (after dinner), The freestyle lite shows my sugars to be 10.8, the Accu-check showed 12.4.
So i decided to stick with my freestyle lite for now, until I have better control over my sugars,
There definatley is a difference between different Blood Glucose machines, I was advise you to use the same one as before to ensure correct and accurate results.

MarkM DAFNE Graduate
2 posts

I think you're both right. Just before my post, my BG was 11.2 and then 12.2 using the same blood on my UltraEasy meter. I recently read on the following website:

http://www.mendosa.com/precision.htm

that precision, i.e. consistently getting similar readings on successive tests of the same blood sample, is more important than accuracy. I am generally very happy with the UltraEasy but would change to a different meter if I knew it had greater precision. I wonder if the Which consumer group or similar compares meters on that basis.

Mark

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

Considering 10-20% is likely to be such a minut amount to be out by, are we sure it's worth bothering with changing to a machine that apparently gives more accurate readings?

It says on most manuals that results can be inaccurate, especially at higher readings, but that's because the higher the amount, the higher the 10-20% total will be. Even the machine testing stuff they send you to test your machine is reliable is set between two points and not an exact result...

With this, I don't think it's worth the change personally. Only when it's a case of seriously effecting your control, I'd check the monitor to see if it is functioning properly and then maybe consider the machine change if it wasn't.

Anil DAFNE Graduate
39 posts

I agree, i guess the aim is just to bring your glucose to as normal and consistent as possible.
I was just thinking this because of the price of test strips, I mean for £25 ppk/50, or so, Id have thought it would be much more accurate and consistent across different test strips and meters,
Great response!
Thanks!
Anil