Diabetic Burnout

5 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

mum2westiesGill 502 posts [Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a diabetic burnout due to stress going on in my life atm. I want to try & get back on track. I seem to be lacking with - bedtime testing / waking testing / quite often I have a late tea but then often snack on crisps or more recently popcorn halfway through the evening but with no bolus.

Any help in identifying trends or any other help ie with targets & ratios will be greatly appreciated.

Also any help in saying whether I should be reducing or increasing my basal. I've been taking 14u of Lantus basal at bedtime for quite a while now.
Really need maybe some encouragement to do some overnight basal testing.

dunkers7 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
24 posts

The basal looks like it's holding overnight to me if 26/02 -> 27/02 is anything to go on. But it's hard to tell without more tests before bed as you say.

I reckon getting the overnight BG in a good range is the main priority here. Think about this - when you sleep you're fasting, and it accounts for about 1/3rd of a 24 hour day if you're getting 8 hours sleep. Getting that one right is the best place to start to improve the overall hba1c.

DAFNE says eat as much as you want to, so long as you're carb counting and taking bolus as appropriate. Good news if you feel stressed and could do with some comfort food. Smile

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
421 posts

As Dunkers says, it would be great if you could post your before bed readings and wake-up readings every time. Getting the basal rate right is the first step, and unless that is correct, then there is little hope for good management. Looking at all the red, I suspect that your basal is too low, but too hard to diagnose without the important bed time and wake-up readings.

mum2westiesGill 502 posts [Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Here are my last lot of BGs. I'm still going through this burnout. I'm suffering with stress due to house moving. I really need encouragement

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
421 posts

What are your target levels? I see a 10.5 in green, and a 6.9 in blue which suggests that you have much higher targets than DAFNE recommends. For instance, for myself, my targets most of the time are between 4.5 and 7.5 so in my diary, anything below 4.5 would be blue, between 4.5 and 7.5, green, and above 7.5, red.

If you need one-on-one help, I'd suggest talking to http://integrateddiabetes.com/ as they would likely be very helpful. It is a service with a cost though.

All of your levels look higher than I would want myself, so my suggestion is to increase your BI by 2 units, and seeing what that does over a period of three days or so. Monitor a little more regularly for hypos following the increase in BI and let us know how you go.